Thinking about having a Gutierrez built... Questions

JoshuaLogan

• Members

I'm somewhat considering getting a Gutierrez guitar built and have a few questions for you guys that own them/have played them.

Alright, here we go...

1. I'm considering going with the short scale 24.75 scale, and possibly 27 frets..... I was wondering, just how tiny are these upper frets on a short scale guitar? Are they still playable, or really cramped?

2. Can I still get a humbucker in the neck with 27 frets? Would it be slanted? I've seen a lot of 27 fret guitars with slanted a slanted single coil in the neck...

3. Does Brent do H-S-H guitars? I think I've only seen H-H on his stuff... just wondering, because if I did this, I'd want to go all out, and have a single coil in the middle, but closer to the neck.... primarily for strat-like clean tones.... (because I like to play clean a lot too, and it'd be nice to have an actual single coil there available along with the coil tapping and such)

4. About how long are the build times on these guitars? and do you put down a down payment or what? do they come with a case?

5. If I wanted Bare Knuckle Pickups in mine instead of the EMGs/seymour duncans they usually offer, how much extra would I be paying for exactly? Just the difference?

6. I'm thinking about an all mahogany super strat... but I've heard mahogany necks can be kinda unstable (apparently they warp easily and such)... would it be better to get a maple neck and mahogany wings for the body?

I think that's all for now... might add more questions if I think of any, and I guess I'll post this in the gutierrez forum over on rig-talk too...

• Members

I can really only help you with the questions one and two. On the Caparison Horus I.V. I had, every fret past the 24th fret was slim and not jumbo but was still getting a bit cramped. As for whether the pickup is slanted or not it depends how you order it, but bear in mind that the neck pickup on a short-scale instrument with 27 frets is going to be a tad further back than usual (closer to where a middle pickup would be).

Anyhow there are others who have even more experience than myself such as ihave27frets who would be better qualified to comment.

Edit: And Juggernaut, apologies!

• Members

I can really only help you with the questions one and two. On the Caparison Horus I.V. I had, every fret past the 24th fret was slim and not jumbo but was still getting a bit cramped. As for whether the pickup is slanted or not it depends how you order it, but bear in mind that the neck pickup on a short-scale instrument with 27 frets is going to be a tad further back than usual (closer to where a middle pickup would be).

Anyhow there are others who have even more experience than myself such as ihave27frets who would be better qualified to comment.

Edit: And Juggernaut, apologies!

yeah, I think cobrahead guy on here got a 27 fret short scale juggernaut.... are the caparisons w/ 24 frets short scale guitars too?

I was just thinking, those frets might be kinda tiny, especially on a short scale guitar where they're all a little bit closer....

but I was thinking of going all mahogany and short scale to try to somewhat get that deep, warm sound of a les paul going on.... I've played mahogany guitars with bolt on maple necks where it's plenty warm, but since he does neck-thru's, i think it wouldn't sound the same, cause I think most of the sound of the guitar affecting the pickups comes from where the pickups are mounted (which would be the neck wood on a neck-thru guitar)...

I'm actually used to playing 25.5" guitars, but I've played a bit on my friend's sg and the short scale is comfortable, but that's only up to 22 frets... I'm not sure how tiny the spacing would be on higher frets. I know I want atleast 24.... was just curious about going with 27.... even if didn't use them, it'd give a lot more space for playing up to the 24th fret

• Members

yeah, I think cobrahead guy on here got a 27 fret short scale juggernaut.... are the caparisons w/ 24 frets short scale guitars too?

I was just thinking, those frets might be kinda tiny, especially on a short scale guitar where they're all a little bit closer....

but I was thinking of going all mahogany and short scale to try to somewhat get that deep, warm sound of a les paul going on.... I've played mahogany guitars with bolt on maple necks where it's plenty warm, but since he does neck-thru's, i think it wouldn't sound the same, cause I think most of the sound comes from sound of the guitar affecting the pickups comes from where the pickups are mounted (which would be the neck wood on a neck-thru guitar)...

I'm actually used to playing 25.5" guitars, but I've played a bit on my friend's sg and the short scale is comfortable, but that's only up to 22 frets... I'm not sure how tiny the spacing would be on higher frets. I know I want atleast 24.... was just curious about going with 27.... even if didn't use them, it'd give a lot more space for playing up to the 24th fret

The Cap Dellinger and TAT are 25.5" with 24 frets and are jumbo all the way. The Horus is short scale and on frets 25-27 you'd better be damn accurate. (read Mattias Eklundh, Tom Englund or Henrik Danhage) :cool:

Edit: or Andy LaRocque and even Mr. Joseph for that matter (:p)

• Members

honestly, I dont know, we have yet to ship one out of the states other than canada.......

That's too bad :(

I started a thread the other day (well actually this morning :lol:) about shipping overseas.. Turned out to be quite a pain in the ass money-wise :mad:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1838022

I don't know if it applies to guitars too, but I'd be amazed if it didn't..

Maybe someday when I'm rich:cry:

• Members

I'm thinking... all mahogany (or maple neck, mahogany body), floyd rose tremolo, H-S-H pickups, 24 or 27 frets, rosewood fretboard, whole guitar to have a classy natural red-ish/brown-ish color, with white/cream colored binding, headstock matching the body with an overlay (or oil stained) and I'd want the headstock to be unique looking, but not too jagged or pointy... I like the looks of a nice natural, shred guitar... classy looking, but plays like a shred guitar, but doesn't look too much like a br00tal METULZ guitar.

I'd want the whole guitar to be about the color of this headstock, but with a cream color binding, and to use the same shape for the headstock: 9.jpg

oh man. starting to want to plan this out now. I really like my EBMM petrucci sig guitar, but it'd be nice to have my own custom guitar, and it wouldn't cost me much more on top of what I'd get for selling the EBMM.... :love:

• Members

oh, and I have another question.... would it be possible to not get a locking nut and just use locking tuners with the floyd rose? my EBMM is like this... no locking nut, but locking tuners.... and it stays in tune really well, although the tremolo is custom and not exactly the same as a floyd rose.... it is fully floating though, so I don't see why it wouldn't work.... hmmm...

Archived