Amp cracking and popping

bengerm77

• Members

I just played a show last night and encountered a new problem with my amp. I was buzzing and cracking and popping all night. The noise was not prompted by my playing, it was just intermittent throughout the show. Clean channel/OD channel/volume off on guitar, all with the same results.

I have yet to test the amp since the show, so I don't know if it's recurring or a venue to venue thing.

My only guess was the power supply might have sucked, but I don't really know what could be causing noise issues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Update us when you play your amp at home.

Ok, I got to play the amp again (finally) at a reliable power source and it still makes the popping sounds. it almost sounds like a cell phone is getting a call, but my bandmates and I follow a strict rule of turning off our cellphones for this very reason.

Also, if I hit the amp while it is happening (because I can) the sound stops. If it is not happening at the moment I hit the amp, the amp makes the sound for a split second but then gets quiet again.

What may be wrong?

Please help.

and please excuse the alcohol induced typographical errors

• Members

Cracking and popping eh? That happened to me when I needed to change my tubes. It's was LOUD cracking and popping.

Pre tubes or power tubes?

I still have the original power tubes from when I first got the amp through ebay (who konw how old they really are) almost a year ago.

• Members

Pre tubes or power tubes?

I still have the original power tubes from when I first got the amp through ebay (who konw how old they really are) almost a year ago.

Power tubes normally die first. Given the situation, being used by the previous owner for a year with the same tubes then you using it with the same tubes, it wouldn't surprise me if it's a tube problem.

• Members

well I played live with my amp tonight.

But I turned on my amp and tapped all the tubes like I was told. None of them made any sound more than others. BUT. but one of my power tubes was glowing brighter than my others, not white hot, but it was blue while all of the other burnt orange. I decided that particular tube is going bad. I'm going to replace them with a new quartet of JJ 6L6GCs.

Ddi I come to the right conclusion?

Archived