Just biased my Koch Powertone II...

bhuether

• Members

Thanks to everyone who helped me figure out how to accomplish this. Here are details:

Tubes: SED Winged C EL34 (2 matched pairs)

Both pairs controlled by separate pots (1 pot for 2 tubes)

Plate voltage: 503V

Tube Pair 1:

Max Neg on Pin 5: -78

Bias adjustment: 32mA (corresponds to statis disspiation of about 16W)

Pin 3 reading: 490V

Note: 2nd tube in pair at 32.3mA

Tube Pair 2:

Max Neg on Pin 5: -78

Bias adjustment: 31.5mA

Pin 3 reading: forgot to measure...

Note: 2nd tube in pair at 32.7mA

So the second pair wasn't quite as closely matched as first pair. But the avg result is a pretty close match.

Not sure if I will try and push the tubes a little hotter. So far it is sounding pretty sweet. Incredible sweet clean tone plus raging gain. Just like I remember it when it was working! And I have 3 year old preamp tubes in it. Haven't even messed with those yet...

Now if I could only get my Diezel Einstein working!

later,

brian

• Members

I have had the Koch running for 2 hours or so. Just measured the cathode current on the first tube pair to be 25 mA. Went down by 7... The 2nd pair was still at around 32mA. I adjusted the first pair back to around 32mA. Is this normal?? Paranoia starting to set in...

thanks,

brian

• Members

I have had the Koch running for 2 hours or so. Just measured the cathode current on the first tube pair to be 25 mA. Went down by 7... The 2nd pair was still at around 32mA. I adjusted the first pair back to around 32mA. Is this normal?? Paranoia starting to set in...

thanks,

brian

Bias drift. It happens. I don't know how many matched sets of tubes I've bought only to have them drift apart no sooner than an hour or so after burn in. This is why I buy my tubes from lord valve. He burns them in then matches them up.

• Members

thanks,

brian

Did one tube drift or both?

• Members

I don't know, but here is an audio recording of me demonstrating the issues. Doesn't appear to be tube realted.

www.guitar-dreams.com/misc/einstein_problems.mp3

If the link doesn't work, right click and hit save as.

later,

brian

Does this amp have a reverb? That first squeal sounds like a possible blown cap. If it has a reverb, check the reverb's transformer for damage.

Archived