Lyric help

u6crash

• Members

I'm writing a song about a girl (I know, yawn) and I wonder which of these viewpoints is more interesting.

She was just another girl working at the bookstore

But I found myself shopping there a lot more

You were just another girl working at the bookstore

but I found myself shopping there a lot more

But you found yourself shopping there a lot more

Also, I find the second line here to be a little too predictable. Anyone else agree or have suggestions? I've more or less got the other lyrics down, but it'll undergo lots of tweaking as it's still a work in progress. I just don't want it to turn too ordinary. Thanks.

• Members

Ooh, I have to say I kind of like that. I wish I had come up with something like that.

Part of the problem is that I'm remaining too true to the facts, being this is about a particular situation, but I forget that good writing means exaggeration.

• Members

Originally posted by u6crash

But you found yourself shopping there a lot more

You might try going totally third person, like:

But he found himself shopping there a lot more

Also, you could try dropping the more off the end of the second line and going with an alternating rhyming pattern, where the third line rhymes with the first, and the fourth rhymes with the second.

• Members

Or...

Seemed just another girl working at the bookstore

Finally figured out why I'm in there more and more.

Hard to say without knowing where it goes. But I don't think that if the guy in the song wants to end up with her, he would say she is "just another girl". That's why I went the way I did.

Now she's outside the ordininary. She's noticed. Before he hadn't thought of her as an individual, but now she's affecting him, caught his attention in a way he hadn't realized until now. Which seemed to me to be where you wanted to go.

If that makes sense.

• Members

Originally posted by J6P

Or...

Seemed just another girl working at the bookstore

Finally figured out why I'm in there more and more.

Hard to say without knowing where it goes. But I don't think that if the guy in the song wants to end up with her, he would say she is "just another girl". That's why I went the way I did.

Now she's outside the ordininary. She's noticed. Before he hadn't thought of her as an individual, but now she's affecting him, caught his attention in a way he hadn't realized until now. Which seemed to me to be where you wanted to go.

If that makes sense.

That suggestion gets my vote!

-GD

Archived