Ebay sellers: Do you ever reveal the Reserve price for a specific customer?

Thrice_removed

• Members

Yes. Ebay auctions are essentially contracts to sell the item for the final price -- doing otherwise could be criminal.

Not criminal at all. All ebay can do is suspend your account for repeated contract violations-- they can't make you give up your item, nor can the ebay buyer...

however, the buyer CAN sue you for damages for failing to honor your side of the agreement.

• Members

I actually have 1000+ feedback & am a power seller on eBay. Reserve is to keep from selling to low,lower starting price does bring people in.Say he set the bid price at $550 and noone likes that? At $350 he may get a bid and can lower the reserve at anytime he wants before 24 hours of close I think it is.Also if it doesn't meet reserve he can send a the highest bidder an option to buy the item at the price he bid after the auction close.

What's the point in setting a reserve then lowering it? You either know what you want to get for the item or you don't. And what's the point in getting a bid below the reserve then making an offer to the highest bidder? If you didn't have the reserve in the first place, you'd have a winning bid and wouldn't need to take your chances hoping the high bidder is still interested. Chances are, the high bidder's already moved on once he saw he didn't meet your reserve. You probably cost yourself a sale that way.

• Members

Just set a buy it now price higher than you are looking to get and let buyers make a best offer. This allows you to negotiate directly with them if they make an offer. This is pretty much the only way I do it now. Plus you never really have to wait the seven days for an auction to end. Also, since you are negotiating directly with the person, I've never had anyone take along time to pay.

+1

It makes the buyer think he's getting a good deal too.

• Members
What's the point in setting a reserve then lowering it? You either know what you want to get for the item or you don't. And what's the point in getting a bid below the reserve then making an offer to the highest bidder? If you didn't have the reserve in the first place, you'd have a winning bid and wouldn't need to take your chances hoping the high bidder is still interested. Chances are, the high bidder's already moved on once he saw he didn't meet your reserve. You probably cost yourself a sale that way.

well not saying to do it but it does leave the option open;) I do the high reserve & BIN also and sometimes that doesn't work either :)

• Members

Listen-- here's the way I feel about it.

Are you selling something for maximum price or just looking to get what it's worth?

If you want maximum price you're gonna have to put up with some risk there, start low, no reserve, and get a lot of people in there thinking they can get it cheap, then thinking they can get it for what it's worth, and eventually just thinking they want it at a price anywhere near what it's worth.

Do you want to just get what it's worth?

Don't be a tool, set the starting bid at the minimum you can take for it and afford to move on and set a BIN at how much you'd like to get for it and let people BIN or bid as they please.

Most people I know don't bid on reserve auctions. I certainly don't. It's not my job to get the seller excited and give him 26 low ball offers. When I know what I'm bidding could actually win me the item, I'm more willing to bid, by about 100x.

• Members

no thats BS. Just another way for Ebay to charge you for something like setting a reserve.

Dont set a high starting bid either as they charge you a % on the starting and ending amounts!

Start the bidding at 99 cents no reserve and you will get 4 times as many bidders and you will never get under fair market value..Ive exceeded what I wanted everytime on ebay this way.

Bidding is all pychology. Many people do not understand this..

Yeah...I couldn't tell you the logic behind this generally works with or without a reserve.

Start your bidding at $1 and your reserve at whatever and you'll get more people bidding on your auction.

Most people on Ebay are generally idiots anyway so I'm not surprised this kooky strategy works.

• Members

Yes you do,if it sells with no reserve you are held to that.

+1 If you have a reserve price on an item and it doesnt reach that reserve price, you're not obligated to sell it to the highest bidder. Otherwise without a reserve, you'll have to sell it to the highest bidder.

Archived