peavey XXX mods?

logansc

• Members

Furthermore, you're getting all that feedback because you're probably diming the gain....the XXX is DEAD SILENT with an otherwise good setup. I know...I've gigged with it at high volume.

The built-in noise gate is damn good. Damn good. It does exactly what is needed of it in high gain situations. I've done some small gigs (mostly just unmic'd house parties and the like) and have never had any excess noise, even when playing over a {censored}ty punk band that decided no one could hear them unless all their gear was on 10.

• Members

I have the JJ kt77's, and that did a pretty big change, but I want more. I use high gain ecc83s's as well (eurotubes high gain package). I like this setup a lot. It came with ruby 6l6gc's and those were pretty dang good, but the kt77's are more versatile I think.

so what exactly do you offer? The clean channel could be improved, as well as making the gain channels tighter, more jumping outey, and faster tracking, clearer notes and what not. It would also be good if you could somehow stop the constant crazy feedback, but if not It's okay

. I play pretty extreme metal sometimes, but I prefer the tight crunch over the big loose sound; however that crunch must be very cutting and full sounding not thin and fizzy.

Whatever is the minimal/cheapest option to get some of those things done would be nice. However it would be nice if I got a general idea of what you're gonna do first. You don't have to give away your secrets or whatever just the results.

I have all sorts of mods for the XXX. I can improve the clean channel, I can lower the crunch gain and make it more like the JSX, I can make the crunch and ultra channels exactly the same, I can tighten the amp up, I can add a choke, I can upgrade the output transformer with a couple different options depending on what you're after, I can fix the feedback. The XXX/JSX amps feedback REAL easy if you're anywhere near the amp. Trying a 12DW7 is the middle preamp tubes spot in the first row is a very popular change to clean up the amps tone.

Shoot me an email if the tube changes don't get you there. The more you want, the more it will cost.

Jerry

• Members

I have all sorts of mods for the XXX. I can improve the clean channel, I can lower the crunch gain and make it more like the JSX, I can make the crunch and ultra channels exactly the same, I can tighten the amp up, I can add a choke, I can upgrade the output transformer with a couple different options depending on what you're after, I can fix the feedback. The XXX/JSX amps feedback REAL easy if you're anywhere near the amp. Trying a 12DW7 is the middle preamp tubes spot in the first row is a very popular change to clean up the amps tone.

Shoot me an email if the tube changes don't get you there. The more you want, the more it will cost.

Jerry

I suppose that high gain tubes could be part of the feedback problem, but I don't see what else they could be doing, unless lower gain tubes sound somehow tighter? Improving the clean channel would be nice, but not worth spending a lot on, and honestly I don't know the benefits of chokes or transformer changes. All I know is the transformer (I think its the transformer) in there now is supposed to be a little on the weak side so it makes it a little hard to handle some tubes.

I mean all the clips of my XXX are in my sig, what do you think I need to do?

• Members

I am pretty sure my old JJ ecc83s's aren't the high gain kind, just regular unless whoever put the ruby 6l6gc's in there also got high gain preamp tubes. I could just try swapping them out right? I'm a noob to doing self tube changes. Basically I just pop them in, except one is balanced for phase 4 probably, or is that not always what they do could all the tubes be the same?

I assume the amp tech would have put that back in the box that says balanced for phase 4 if it was. So which one is phase 4. It's all the way left or right isn't it?

Archived