Help needed with the eq!

prsalex

• Members

First, I don't know if this is the right forum so the moderator can correct me.

I've got a Peavey Classic 50Watt 2x12 Tweed and I'm very happy with it! Mostly I use the OD-channel. At home my settings are pre 9,post 4,bass 9,mid 4,treble 7 and presence at 6. With this eq I've got a beautiful sound.But in the band with the same eq-settings I've got a terrible sound(harsh)! In the band I turned all the knobs to different eq-settings but was not very usefull.

What I'm doing wrong?:confused:

Excuses for my bad english; I live in the Netherlands(Europe).

• Members

First of all, accept the fact that you have to tune your amp differently in a live setting than in your bedroom. And your bedroom tone is not going to sound the same live. That's just the way it is.

In a live setting, try to use more mids and less lows and highs. Also, it's pretty much mandatory that you turn up your mids when playing live anyway, because that's what gets you heard through the mix. In the bedroom, alot of mids can sound funny, but on stage, it balances out.

I'd also recommend using less bass when playing live as well, and letting the bass guitar have those frequencies. If you let each instrument have its own frequency range and give it its own space, it helps the audience hear everything better and reduces bass frequencies from different instruments clashing with eachother and vibrates the drums less, etc. etc. Basically just gives everything more space and definition. Capitolize on your mids when playing live, and use your bass and treble to enhance it some, if you know what I mean.

As sound gets louder, humans percieve more highs than there really are. If your sound is more based on mids and less treble, and it's really loud, then when you get with the band, it will sound more like it's supposed to. This is explained with Fletcher Munsun Curves. Check this link.

There was another really great thread about this, and I'll try to find it.

But I suggest that you learn about those Fletcher Munson Curves, and keep doing exactly what your doing, which is getting on the internet or whatever and learning about this type of stuff. :thu:

There are SO many factors that affect the way things sound in different spaces, and theres a lot to learn.

• Members
First of all, accept the fact that you have to tune your amp differently in a live setting than in your bedroom. And your bedroom tone is not going to sound the same live. That's just the way it is.

In a live setting, try to use more mids and less lows and highs. Also, it's pretty much mandatory that you turn up your mids when playing live anyway, because that's what gets you heard through the mix. In the bedroom, alot of mids can sound funny, but on stage, it balances out.

I'd also recommend using less bass when playing live as well, and letting the bass guitar have those frequencies. If you let each instrument have its own frequency range and give it its own space, it helps the audience hear everything better and reduces bass frequencies from different instruments clashing with eachother and vibrates the drums less, etc. etc. Basically just gives everything more space and definition. Capitolize on your mids when playing live, and use your bass and treble to enhance it some, if you know what I mean.

As sound gets louder, humans percieve more highs than there really are. If your sound is more based on mids and less treble, and it's really loud, then when you get with the band, it will sound more like it's supposed to. This is explained with Fletcher Munsun Curves.
Check this link.

There was another really great thread about this, and I'll try to find it.

But I suggest that you learn about those Fletcher Munson Curves, and keep doing exactly what your doing, which is getting on the internet or whatever and learning about this type of stuff.
:thu:

There are SO many factors that affect the way things sound in different spaces, and theres a lot to learn.

Thank you for your answer! Probely it's better to turn down the bass and treble at,say,5 and the mid to 9? And what about the presence? Our bassguitarplayer has his amp with the mids at 8,so that's 'mine territory'?

• Members

Thank you for your answer! Probely it's better to turn down the bass and treble at,say,5 and the mid to 9? And what about the presence? Our bassguitarplayer has his amp with the mids at 8,so that's 'mine territory'?

A bass guitars mids are structured a bit differently. When a bass is playing live, it will dominate the bass frequencies and the mid gives it more body. However; with guitars, they are dominance of mid frequencies, so yeah you will want a lower bass and a good deal of mids live. Treble just gives you more bite, you're trying to find a balance between having a crisp snap of your sound and not having so much treble that you make the audience's ears bleed. presence will adjust the structure of the highs and the upper mids, a rule I always go is set my EQ to taste, then if I feel I don't have enough cut in the upper registers to boost my presence a little. On paper you can say what EQ sounds right and what shouldn't but when it comes to the stage and a band setting use your ears, see what EQ makes it easiest for you and your band mates to hear you, generally some bass, a good bit of mids and a nice bit of treble for the crispness of your sound.

• Members

you might want to try balancing your pre and post gains to get more power tube compression, and less preamp gain-- preamp distortion typically sounds a bit more bright and buzzy.. if you let the power tubes do some of the work-- you'll fatten up the bottom, and take the bright edge off of the gain sound!

d

• Members

I agree... but at the same time its according what amp. On my 6505 with my mids at 3 it cuts through the mix fine. And when turning my mids up past 5 it just sounds like crap even live. Although if I was to scoop my mids I wouldnt be able to hear it live. But on some other amps like my old marshall... the mids at 3 wasn't enough. It just didnt cut through. the 6505 is really middy so 3 is actually plenty. Where as some people here might disagree it doesn't matter. Its what sounds right and if you can hear all your notes.. especially lead notes then you've got enough mids. But to much mids... can kill the sound. So you have to find that medium.

• Members

I found the best way to cut the bass is with a parametric eq on the front end. Select everything from 80hz on down and cut completely out. That way you still have the bass knob left on the amp to keep some body in the tone. It'll will be razor sharp with no fluff but sounds great in a band with a bass filling the bottom out.

• Members
you might want to try balancing your pre and post gains to get more power tube compression, and less preamp gain-- preamp distortion typically sounds a bit more bright and buzzy.. if you let the power tubes do some of the work-- you'll fatten up the bottom, and take the bright edge off of the gain sound!

d

Hmmm, I have the post low,about 4, and the master-volume about 8. Will the power tubes also work by increasing the master-volume? With the post higher,about 8, and the mastervolume low(4) it will sound a little bit harsher...
Maybe I don't understand you,but what is the good/best eq-setting,post low or high or the master-volume low or high?

I hope you understand my bad english...:lol:

• Members
I'm not trying to knock your amp, but I had one and I was never satisfied with the sound. If you ever think of replacing it, a Carvin Bel Air does a great job. Hope you find your tone.

Thank you for your answer. I don't think it's the amp; I owned a Fender HRDL, a Fender-30(early 80's),Marshall JTM,Peavey Triumph,London City MK-V, and every time I have the same problem...also with different guitars....:freak:

• Members

d

Cool :thu:

Archived