Mullard Reissue 12ax7s - Mini Review

Duke of Metal

• Members

Before you proceed reading this, please keep in mind that results (tone, noise, gain, etc..) will be different from amp to amp. The results you'll read about here are done with the following gear:

Jackson Flying V with Duncan Blackout Bridge and EMG 85 neck

ADA MP-1 3TM

VHT 2502 (with KT77s)

VHT 412 Slant

Splawn 412 Straight (2 MOW and 2 Gov)

before putting the Mullards in the ADA MP-1 3TM, i had some Highgain JJ ECC83S that I had purchased from Doug @ dougstubes.com a while back and I liked them. But always felt that the tone on them at loud volumes needed a bit more life to it. But overall, it was a good tube.

After plugging the Mullard 12ax7s in my ADA MP-1 3TM, the tone was definitly better. Overall tone became tighter and clearer. Lowend was just as tight but mids and highs were smoother. the Mullards have a bit more highend to them, but nothing turning down the Presence control a tad bit on my VHT didnt fix. Its not as bright as an EH12ax7 but not dark or dull sounding at all.

I also was able to turn down the gain a bit more and I still had plenty of gain on tap still. Also, I noticed the tone was even more 3D on highgain. I am actually able to turn it up really high and still have tight tone that cuts through.

Definitly a good sounding tube thats worth the bucks.

again.. results may be different from setup to another setup. But if your willing, definitly give this tube a try.

Cheers and hope that helps!

• Members

Huh, I had mine in for 7 months or so before it started to go. I am also a retard and play at loud volumes with my head on the cab so that may attribute to it dying so quick, though my tech says he sees them die a lot, something to do with the long plate in them makes them more prone to going microphonic.

• Members

I put the GT ones in my Twin, sounds a little bit better, overall satisfied.... though I've had a lot of tubes go microphonic in twins I have used.....

so far so good, but its only been 1 month, so I'm going to hold out a little while longer before making up my mind about them....

I also have it in my Dr Z.... again so far so good....

Archived