OT: Mac Questions

Dale B.

• Members

Is it all that hard swapping over to a Mac?

I'm looking at picking up a Macbook Pro here in the next week or two. I'm still going to have my Desktop PC and all, but I've just had the itch for a laptop. I also want something different and something I won't have to really worry about.

I'm not planning on doing any hardcore task with it. I just want something that will connect to the internet with a WiFi connection. The only thing I really do on the internet is look at eBay, guitar message boards, MySpace, check e-mail and I use AIM. That's about it.

I like the looks of the lowest of the line version Macbook Pro with the 7200 RPM 200 gig HD.

I've just been on the fence during the past month and haven't pulled the trigger. Money isn't the problem. I've just read so much crap here lately that I toss back and forth between Winows and Mac when looking at laptops.

Dale

• Members

Why not just get the regular macbook and save yourself a grand?

Word.

To answer your question, yes, it's very easy to switch to a Mac. Put all your documents, pictures, other stuff on a USB key or external hard drive and transfer it over.

• Members

Not hard at all..I switched a while ago..just to see if I could survive as the only Mac user in a 5+k employee company...not an issue at all once you've bought Office :D

There's a couple of annoying things that the Finder does differently than Windows Explorer..but meh, it's a small learning curve.

I have a MBP 2.33GHz 15" with 7200RPM and 2GB...it rocks.

For basic stuff, I think a MacBook would suffice easily.

• Members

Is it all that hard swapping over to a Mac?

I'm looking at picking up a Macbook Pro here in the next week or two. I'm still going to have my Desktop PC and all, but I've just had the itch for a laptop. I also want something different and something I won't have to really worry about.

I'm not planning on doing any hardcore task with it. I just want something that will connect to the internet with a WiFi connection. The only thing I really do on the internet is look at eBay, guitar message boards, MySpace, check e-mail and I use AIM. That's about it.

I like the looks of the lowest of the line version Macbook Pro with the 7200 RPM 200 gig HD.

I've just been on the fence during the past month and haven't pulled the trigger. Money isn't the problem. I've just read so much crap here lately that I toss back and forth between Winows and Mac when looking at laptops.

Dale

do it!

one word:

garageband.

• Members

My biggest problem when switching over to a mac was installing programs. It's so easy it's hard. I was stuck in the windows paradigm of telling the computer where to put it.

On the mac, you open up the pkg file, and drag the program where you want to install it.

Sounds easy, but for the life of me, I had no idea how it worked.

Archived