General Chemistry 2 quiz question -- Help, anybody?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

I missed this lab.... and I hate chemistry. I really do. This is the last chemistry class I need.

Anyways, can anyone help?

What is the expected freezing temperature of a solution of 2.00 g of CCl4 in 100 g of benzene, C6H6? (For benzene, m.p. = 5.5oC, Kf = 5.12oC kg/mol)

A. 4.8oC

B. 5.8oC

C. 3.2oC

D. 8.5oC

:confused:

Not a clue what to do...

• Members

well, there's two ways to go about this. one, since it's multiple guess, is to look at the options. is the freezing point of a pure compound higher or lower than one with impurities? since we know what the freezing point of pure benzene is, we have a baseline to judge from. how much of an effect is 2g of something going to have on 100g of something, in terms of changing the purity? not much. this means that the change in m.p. isn't going to be very big. that rules out 3.2 and 8.5. now it's a 50-50. does the m.p go up or down?

the other option is to actually calculate it because most of the time, multiple guess questions in chemistry aren't easy to guess at well. have you looked in your book?

• Members

well, there's two ways to go about this. one, since it's multiple guess, is to look at the options. is the freezing point of a pure compound higher or lower than one with impurities? since we know what the freezing point of pure benzene is, we have a baseline to judge from. how much of an effect is 2g of something going to have on 100g of something, in terms of changing the purity? not much. this means that the change in m.p. isn't going to be very big. that rules out 3.2 and 8.5. now it's a 50-50. does the m.p go up or down?

the other option is to actually calculate it because most of the time, multiple guess questions in chemistry aren't easy to guess at well. have you looked in your book?

Thanks, man! I knew it was either 4.8 or 3.2, because I knew the freezing point had to drop, but didn't realize that 3.2 would be too low of a drop until you said that. So I took a guess and put 4.8... and I lucked out and the last (5th) question was an easy one that I could google.

5/5 100%, vaaryy naice. HIGH 5.

lol :lol:

:o

• Members

Hahahaha I'm happy. I wasn't even in class for this lab and guessed on most of the questions and somehow got them all right.

I got a 60% on the first quiz :o but 100% on this one :D

My teacher is a double Ph.D and tough as hell, especially for someone who isn't a science major (like me! I'm an electrical engineering major... I need lots of math, but not this kind of math. haha.)

w00t w00t :p

• Members

My girlfriend is a chemistry minor at the university of washington. too bad I didn't see this earlier.

I actually don't mind chemistry if I have a good teacher, but this guy is not a good teacher... and he's a double ph.d (and he's young... probably 25-28), so he's all high and mighty.... his classes are really tough. I had him before for osmething and had to drop it (and I'm usually a straight A student... graduated high school with a 4.1, and have something like a 3.75 in college right now and about to finish my AA)... then I took Chem 1 with a different teacher and passed easily, but now I got stuck with him again for Chem 2 and it's HARD as {censored}. Our first exam of the semester is on wednesday. Definitely NOT looking forward to that... :o

• Members

notice, however, that i didn't GIVE you the answer.

you had better know how to figure this out on paper for the test...i don't think it'll be multiple guess.

and that thought process i just unveiled is why i do so well on standardized tests.

Props on that man! That was really well thought out.

:thu:

• Members

3.75 eh? Just wait till your junior senior level classes......lol. You ll have lots o fun when you hit continuos time linear systems and electromagnetics. It pretty much the hardest engineering major here at PSU.

I don't have problem doing math. I just hate chemistry. if I know the equations, doing the math is easy. the problem in the question I posted here was that I had no idea what equations or work I was supposed to do because I didn't know the concept at all other than the basics of it. I find calculus a lot easier than this chemistry class. I'm pretty good there. :o

• Members

see, i'm the opposite of you guys. i perfectly understand the concepts of chemistry, but the math kicks my ass. gen chem stuff isn't bad, but when you get to Pchem (which is really just thermodynamics and quantum mechanics...which you have to use calc III to do) the math is outrageous. i hate calculus.

i breezed through organic, though. that {censored} just made sense to me. and there was no math:thu:

• Members

Yeah i hated chem too. Hated physics more. Schrodinger can go to hell along with Debroglie. What classes are you taking anyways?

just 3 and a lab right now. chemistry 2 + lab, calculus 2, and intro to biology.... I just need intro to bio so I have my credits for a "life science" so I finish my AA this semester.

I took physics 1 last semester, but it's not going to count because apparently I need "Physics with Calculus" both 1 & 2.... so I'll be taking those soon... and calculus 3... those are the only pre-reqs I still need before transfering and going into the EE program.

• Members

Im all about the math man. Im pretty much done with all my math classes. Ive always seemed to breeze through those classes with getting straight "A"s. Physucks is what always beat me down to the ground. Its said pretty much day in and day out, 90-95% of the {censored} we learn we wont use again. Its all about problem solving, thats what you get out of it.

• Members

just 3 and a lab right now. chemistry 2 + lab, calculus 2, and intro to biology.... I just need intro to bio so I have my credits for a "life science" so I finish my AA this semester.

I took physics 1 last semester, but it's not going to count because apparently I need "Physics with Calculus" both 1 & 2.... so I'll be taking those soon... and calculus 3... those are the only pre-reqs I still need before transfering and going into the EE program.

Pay good attention to those calc classes. Our engineering discipline is one of the very few that you must continually use calc and differential equations. Fourier series and transformations will come in diff-eq. Those will become your friends.

• Members

see, i'm the opposite of you guys. i perfectly understand the concepts of chemistry, but the math kicks my ass. gen chem stuff isn't bad, but when you get to Pchem (which is really just thermodynamics and quantum mechanics...which you have to use calc III to do) the math is outrageous. i hate calculus.

i breezed through organic, though. that {censored} just made sense to me. and there was no math:thu:

I actually understand the concepts in both chemistry and physics really well... I think they're easy to understand. the hard part for me is using the equations and remembering what symbols stand for what and how to solve the problem. I find it a lot different than just straight up doing math in calculus.

• Members

Im all about the math man. Im pretty much done with all my math classes. Ive always seemed to breeze through those classes with getting straight "A"s. Physucks is what always beat me down to the ground. Its said pretty much day in and day out, 90-95% of the {censored} we learn we wont use again. Its all about problem solving, thats what you get out of it.

Yup, truth! We learn how to do all of these complex calculations, and then when you're actually doing the work, you just have a computer that does the math for you. It's kinda frustrating, but I guess it makes sense.... atleast you understand everything that way...

Archived