How do the VHT Eminence P50E speakers sound in a rearloaded cab?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

I'm thinking about buying a VHT cab.... or atleast the P50E speakers... I'd like to try them out in my Bogner 4x12. I'm just curious... I know VHT cabs are front loaded... so, how would those P50E's sound in a rearloaded cab? Would they still be nice and tight? I'd like my Bogner cab to be tighter... I've read that the P50E's are really tight and really smooth, atleast in the VHT front loaded cabs.... and that sounds like it'd work great for me, because I have to run treble and presence pretty higher to get a tighter sound out of the Bogner 4x12, but then that gives a really irritating sound from the 4 v30's... not smooth at all.

I think I read that Bob Savage on here once had P50E's in a Bogner 4x12.... What'd you think of that, Bob?

Has anyone else here tried P50E's in a rearloaded cab? (Bogner, Mesa, Orange, etc...)

• Members

Also, is there any news on the new VHT speakers? I read a while back that they were working on new speakers and I think going to discontinue the P50E's when they start using them..... what exactly is going to be the difference? and are they supposed to be an improved, "better" speaker, or just different?

Just wondering... because it'd kinda suck to go and buy a cab only to have them release a new cab with new speakers right after that.

• Members

They would prolly sound like ass in a rear loaded cab......heck I tried them in other front loaded cabs that weren't VHT's and wasn't impressed with the results..

Did you try them in a VHT cab though? if not, it's possible you just don't like the way they sound :idk:

• Members

They would prolly sound like ass in a rear loaded cab......heck I tried them in other front loaded cabs that weren't VHT's and wasn't impressed with the results..

most likely, they weren't broken in. They take about 20 hours of earth shattering volume to really warm up. Seriously.

luckily, there are thousands of people who lose bigtime when selling near-mint VHT cabs who never grasp this concept.

and, they'd probably sound great in a rear-loaded cab.:thu:

• Members

I know there's a dealer on the forum who sells p50E singles for like $75 a piece, and guess what, they sound badass in other cabs.

My framus cobra 4x12 is loaded with P50E's, and I think it sounds a hair better than the FB 4x12.

might be guitarman216, or guitargeorge or something.

ask on rigtalk maybe?>

and, you'll regret selling the bogner cab. don't do it.

I wish I still had that Diezel cab that took Joeyinflames like 500 posts to sell. :(

• Members

I know there's a dealer on the forum who sells p50E singles for like $75 a piece, and guess what, they sound badass in other cabs.

My framus cobra 4x12 is loaded with P50E's, and I think it sounds a hair better than the FB 4x12.

might be guitarman216, or guitargeorge or something.

ask on rigtalk maybe?>

and, you'll regret selling the bogner cab. don't do it.

I wish I still had that Diezel cab that took Joeyinflames like 500 posts to sell.
:(

well, the cobra is a front loaded cab too, so it's not surprising to me that they'd sound good in it. and I dunno. I might hold onto the bogner cab atleast until I try the vht, but if I like it a lot better I'll be getting rid of it.... I just don't think I really like the v30's. It took me a while to realize it, but I've noticed it's always been a similar problem no matter what amp I've had, and I think it's the speakers..... the mids are all raggy and harsh sounding.... I like a bright sound with a lot of treble, but not with the mids all grating like that.... this is why I was starting to get interested in vader cabs and now VHT's.... they're supposed to be brighter, tighter, and smoother all at the same time. I like smooth guitar tones a lot, but only if they are really tight

• Members

Didnt read the whole thread yet because I've got to run but I will say that I tried 4 P50 speakers in a Rear Loaded Mesa cab and it sounded like ass. Way to trebly and Shrill.. Lacked warm..I was dissapointed:cry:

Hmm, that's weird. I thought them being in a rearloaded cab would make them more bassy and more loose. :idk:

Weren't you one of the guys who liked the deliverance cab a lot more than the fatbottom cab? Can you explain the difference?

• Members

Hmm, that's weird. I thought them being in a rearloaded cab would make them more bassy and more loose.
:idk:

Weren't you one of the guys who liked the deliverance cab a lot more than the fatbottom cab? Can you explain the difference?

No actually, I was one of the guys that hated the Deliverance cab. I do like the Fatbottom a lot though:evil:

The Deliverance is certainly a looser sounding cab. Too loose for my liking honestly. It just has a wierd tone to it. Its very percusiive and holllow sounding. The bracing goes left to right instead of front to back in the fatbottom.

The only thing that I thought it improved was the clean sound of my Heads. Not worth keeping to me so i sold it..

• Members

No actually, I was one of the guys that hated the Deliverance cab. I do like the Fatbottom a lot though:evil:

The Deliverance is certainly a looser sounding cab. Too loose for my liking honestly. It just has a wierd tone to it. Its very percusiive and holllow sounding. The bracing goes left to right instead of front to back in the fatbottom.

The only thing that I thought it improved was the clean sound of my Heads. Not worth keeping to me so i sold it..

That's interesting.

Bracing is definitely overlooked on HCAF.

The Diezel 412FM sure was an interesting bracing pattern. It made it twice as tight-sounding as the Framus Cobra 412 and VHT FB412.

it had 1/2" thick plywood planks that connected the front and rear panels to the side panels. seriously. The only open space was in the middle between the speakers.

• Members

Hmmm... so, it's a lot looser? I had heard the Fatbottom was a little tighter but that the deliverance cab was still tighter than most other cabs :confused:

• Members

Hmmm... so, it's a lot looser? I had heard the Fatbottom was a little tighter but that the deliverance cab was still tighter than most other cabs
:confused:

Well maybe at low volumes but of course thats not the true way to measure a cab.

The speakers sound the same and they are tight sounding speakers but once I was pumping some volume through the cab and doing chunky Mutes (Usually tuned down atleast a 1/2 step or 1 whole step) the cab would not respond favorably.

Just a real farty sound. I could see some calling that resonance or something but never tight.

Archived