Ampeg VL-501

separanets

• Members

Hello, I just found an Ampeg VL-501 on sale. What are your opinions about this amp. I head it was like a

Is $650 a good price for a used one?

thanks

You can get much more Ampeg for less.

Look for either a V-4(120 watt) or V-2(60 watt) head, or a VT-22(120) or VT40(60) combo, and a Jekyl and Hyde, or some other good combo OD/Distortion, and you'll be much happier in the end. They might not be in as good shape cosmetically, but they've got balls the later Ampegs can't come close to touching.

• Members

I figure that if this amp has gone this whole time without any problems, I can't see them suddenly starting. Apparently the lemons have been lemons from the start and problems won't suddenly appear after fifteen years or so of smooth sailing.

I'm knocking on wood like crazy, but at least that seems logical enough.

• Members

I figure that if this amp has gone this whole time without any problems, I can't see them suddenly starting. Apparently the lemons have been lemons from the start and problems won't suddenly appear after fifteen years or so of smooth sailing.

I'm knocking on wood like crazy, but at least that seems logical enough.

Agreed. :)

• Members

I just got a VL1002 over the weekend for $399 at the local music store. There's one on E-Bay right now (2 hours left) for $370 + $50 shipping.

I thought I stole mine, but looks like I just got a square deal on the price. I only spent about 1 hour on it since I brought it home, and am very pleased with the sound/loudness/tone/gain. Oh, and with all the tubes it has (seven pre-amp and four power) the smell is out of this world!!!

Archived