How Do You Ship HEAVEY Items such as an AMP?

escapethefate

• Members

Hi guys,

So i want to put my fender amp on ebay soon (hot rod deville) and I was wondering how do you guys ship (those who have shipped) out heavy gear such as amps. This thing weighs about 60 pounds and has a pretty big size.

Do you get it professionally packed at a store? If so which store? UPS quoted me before and they said something ridiculous like 50 bucks to pack it and another 50-60 to ship depending where it goes....

Are there cheaper options out there? I'm located in southern california if that helps. let me know thanks!!!

• Members

Take the tubes out, pack them int a small box with foam wrapped around each one, put foam peanuts or newpaper to keep them snug, tape box shut and place inside amp. Roll up cord, twist tie together, place on top of amp handle. Now get a plastic bag and completely cover the amp, tape. Place inside a double box, see if you can scavenge one from a local guitar store, sometimes they place them by their dumpsters. Make sure you fill a little bit of foam peanuts on the bottom, place amp in box, place peanuts on sides and fill till the top is covered. Tape, double tape, and tape some more all the folds, and fold areas. Get insurance to cover the amps cost new.

• Members

Take the tubes out, pack them int a small box with foam wrapped around each one, put foam peanuts or newpaper to keep them snug, tape box shut and place inside amp. Roll up cord, twist tie together, place on top of amp handle. Now get a plastic bag and completely cover the amp, tape. Place inside a double box, see if you can scavenge one from a local guitar store, sometimes they place them by their dumpsters. Make sure you fill a little bit of foam peanuts on the bottom, place amp in box, place peanuts on sides and fill till the top is covered. Tape, double tape, and tape some more all the folds, and fold areas. Get insurance to cover the amps cost new.

i'd add: build a box if you have to. (the outer one) i did when i shiped my HRD. put a lot of "soft" between the outer box & inner

60 lb amp + 25 lb's of packing and insurance - it'll go. tubes out & well packed like in the quote.

• Members

so you guys reccommend double boxing as in puting the amp in a box,a nd then putting that box into another box?

Now the real question is...how do you guys carry the damn thing once its packed lol...id imagine it would be really heavy..i might buy all the materials and when its time to ship, assemble the box right outside the post office..

• Moderators
Hi guys,

So i want to put my fender amp on ebay soon (hot rod deville) and I was wondering how do you guys ship (those who have shipped) out heavy gear such as amps. This thing weighs about 60 pounds and has a pretty big size.

Do you get it professionally packed at a store? If so which store? UPS quoted me before and they said something ridiculous like 50 bucks to pack it and another 50-60 to ship depending where it goes....

Are there cheaper options out there? I'm located in southern california if that helps. let me know thanks!!!

At the top of the page is a stickied thread with the forum rules. There is also, within that same thread "cool links". One of them is an EXCELLENT post from jamespeters on how to pack an amp to ship it. :)

• Members

Ya know, I always ship stuff from the office, where we have the proper scales and UPS system w/shipping label printer, boxes of every shape and size and all manner of proper packing materials.

I sometimes forget just how much of a pain in the ass shipping stuff can be, especially larger items...

Archived