What was the first song/band to actually use distortion?

GURREN LAGANN

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love Rumble but I would not call that tone distorted. Maybe "Jangly" I guess I'm just 2 BRUTALLZ!! it seems any old tube amp would sound like that when cranked.

yeah, you are too Brutalllzzzz. You certainly couldn't call rumble "clean". Jangly doesnt' even really have to be distorted, and there's some definite clipping on rumble.

• Members

Howlin' Wolf on How Many More Years.
Jimmy Page was inspired by this song to write How Many More Times. At the end of the introducion, he strums some FAT chords and his amp goes into complete overdrive. It could be tape recorder distortion, I'm not sure.
check it out.

• Members

Howlin' Wolf on How Many More Years.

Jimmy Page was inspired by this song to write How Many More Times. At the end of the introducion, he strums some FAT chords and his amp goes into complete overdrive. It could be tape recorder distortion, I'm not sure.

check it out.

Wouldn't that be Hubert Sumlin playing?

• Members

Ya know, many players had prolly been playing with distortion for years, not just any one player or group. Leo Fender's engineers tried for years to get him to let them cleanup the sound of his amps, but he said that's not what guitar players wanted. When he soldout to CBS they convinced CBS to let them do it, and Fender amp sales nosedived in the next 8 months. The rest is history.

• Members
Link Wray. He supposedly dropped his Fender amp and one of the tubes came loose, producing a distorted sound. He liked it and went with it. The rest is history.

........ but I'd never put the story(-ies) together with this piece of music! Cool. That tune must've been used in billions of places by now... :rawk:

• Members

Please stop bringing up the Kinks, it just shows your n00bishness. Link Wray was well before them, so that automatically rules them out. LINK MUTHA{censored}ING WRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You had to make me work dude. You should contact Wikipedia and let them know how {censored}ed up they are on their data base. Because THIS is their definition and history of the Guitar Amplifier:

History

The first electronic instrument amplifiers were designed for use with electric guitars. The earliest examples appeared in the early 1930s when the introduction of electrolytic capacitors and rectifier tubes allowed for the production of economical built-in power supplies that could be plugged into wall sockets. Consequently portable vacuum tube amplification equipment was no longer dependent on heavy multiple battery packs for power. While guitar amplifiers from the beginning were used to amplify acoustic guitar, electronic amplification of guitar was first widely popularized by the 1930s and 1940s craze for Hawaiian music, which extensively employed the amplified lap steel Hawaiian guitar.

Tone controls on early guitar amplifiers were very simple and provided a great deal of treble boost but the controls, the loudspeakers used and the low power of the amplifiers (typically 15 watts or less prior to the mid-1950s) had poor high treble and bass response. Some better models also provided effects such as spring reverb and/or an electronic tremolo unit. Early Fender amps labeled tremolo as "vibrato" and labeled the vibrato arm of the Stratocaster guitar as a "tremolo bar"; see vibrato unit, electric guitar, and tremolo).

In the 1960s, guitarists experimented with distortion produced by deliberately overloading (or overdriving) their amplifiers. The Kinks guitarist Dave Davies produced early distortion effects by connecting the output of one amplifier into the input of another, an abuse that the designers could never have imagined. Later, most guitar amps were provided with preamplifier distortion controls, and "fuzz boxes" and other effects units were engineered to safely and reliably produce these sounds. Today, distortion has become an integral part of many styles of electric guitar playing.

• Members

You had to make me work dude. You should contact Wikipedia and let them know how {censored}ed up they are on their data base. Because THIS is their definition and history of the Guitar Amplifier:

History

The first electronic instrument amplifiers were designed for use with electric guitars. The earliest examples appeared in the early 1930s when the introduction of electrolytic capacitors and rectifier tubes allowed for the production of economical built-in power supplies that could be plugged into wall sockets. Consequently portable vacuum tube amplification equipment was no longer dependent on heavy multiple battery packs for power. While guitar amplifiers from the beginning were used to amplify acoustic guitar, electronic amplification of guitar was first widely popularized by the 1930s and 1940s craze for Hawaiian music, which extensively employed the amplified lap steel Hawaiian guitar.

Tone controls on early guitar amplifiers were very simple and provided a great deal of treble boost but the controls, the loudspeakers used and the low power of the amplifiers (typically 15 watts or less prior to the mid-1950s) had poor high treble and bass response. Some better models also provided effects such as spring reverb and/or an electronic tremolo unit. Early Fender amps labeled tremolo as "vibrato" and labeled the vibrato arm of the Stratocaster guitar as a "tremolo bar"; see vibrato unit, electric guitar, and tremolo).

In the 1960s, guitarists experimented with distortion produced by deliberately overloading (or overdriving) their amplifiers. The Kinks guitarist Dave Davies produced early distortion effects by connecting the output of one amplifier into the input of another, an abuse that the designers could never have imagined.
Later, most guitar amps were provided with preamplifier distortion controls, and "fuzz boxes" and other effects units were engineered to safely and reliably produce these sounds. Today, distortion has become an integral part of many styles of electric guitar playing.

Link Wray was in the 50's. You know that Wikipedia is edited by just regular dudes, right? Nobody has to be an expert to post on there and give out misinformation. Link Wray poked holes in his speakers to get his buzzy RUMBLE tone.

• Members

Link Wray is generally considered to be the father of the rebel/punk persona and the first to use distortion.

yeah, he put pinpricks in the treble speaker and miked it separately for distortion. i have an interview with his somewhere - i'll put it up if i can find it.

Archived