Bringing a song to your band

SpacedCowboy

• Members
Originally posted by discount star

Drummers are like cars...a necessary evil. The drummer HAS to be the best one in the band. If you have a good drummer, you can basically take a {censored} on top of what he plays and it comes out cool.

We recorded the other night. My drummer played to a click (which, granted, isn't the most fun thing to do). He couldn't keep time with it. He was very adamant that the click was 1/100th of a second off.
:mad:

And of course, as we all know, the drummer is NEVER wrong...:rolleyes:

That's why I bring stuff in more or less intact, because if the song is TOO skeletal, our drummer will just go nuts...he'll start talking about this 6/8th time bridge we could go crazy on.
AND I HAVEN'T EVEN FINISHED THE SECOND {censored}ING VERSE!!!:mad:

• Members

Sounds like my drummer. If he'd put half as much energy into trying to keep good time as he does trying to come up with different parts and changes he'd be a lot further ahead. I've resided myself to the fact that after this project is done...so is he. Nice guy but I'd like to shove those {censored}ING CRASH CYMBALS up his ass!:D

• Members
Originally posted by discount star

Sounds like my drummer. If he'd put half as much energy into trying to keep good time as he does trying to come up with different parts and changes he'd be a lot further ahead. I've resided myself to the fact that after this project is done...so is he. Nice guy but I'd like to shove those {censored}ING CRASH CYMBALS up his ass!
:D

If he's got room in his rectum, I'll throw in my drummer's innumerable amount of China Boy cymbals for good measure.:D :D

• Members

Originally posted by SpacedCowboy

This is for those who are the, for lack of a better phrase "main songwriters" in their band...

When you bring in a song to show the other members, do you usually have the arrangement all written out and say, "this is what I want you guys to play and don't change it" or do you say "OK, here's the verses and chorus, (or sometimes, it could be just a hook line or something) what do you guys think?" and then you sort of build the song up collectively from there?

Pretty much all of the above depending on how I feel about the particular piece.

• Members

I guess I have it lucky. Our band consists of two writers the drummer and myself. The drummer is a competant guitarist and we will bring ideas to each other, map them completly out and then take them to the band, usually recorded. Some times the second guitarist, bass player or singer will add a little texture here and there or bring in a part, which I have no problem with. The drummer and I just happen to be more prolific at writing.

• Members

I love all the musicians in my band, I know my bassist is a far better bassist than me, same with the guitarists. So I tend to just bring in a few chords and the lyrics, with a basic melody. Everybody writes their own parts around the basic blueprint, and it's almost invariably better than what I would have come up with. Some songs have changed pretty seriously from my initial concept to the what the band plays, but that's fine by me. If it's good, it's gonna be good as a country thing, or a pop thing, or a rock thing or whatever.

As for the drummer issues, since I am a drummer first, I feel like I can communicate with my kind reasonably well. :) I have taken away everything but kick and snare from several guys, and made them listen to Harvest for hours on end before they record their parts. ;) Forcing limitations on someone, especially at the last second, can make for some really great performances, that almost always make up for the hurt feelings.

• Members

As for the drummer issues, since I am a drummer first, I feel like I can communicate with my kind reasonably well.
:)
I have taken away everything but kick and snare from several guys, and made them listen to
Harvest
for hours on end before they record their parts.
;)
Forcing limitations on someone, especially at the last second, can make for some really great performances, that almost always make up for the hurt feelings.

Be my drummer!!!!;)

Archived