Mesa Roadster vs 3 Channel Dual Rectifier - Sound wise comparison?

sfx70

• Members

Hey doods

Is there any difference sound wise between the 3 channel Dual Rec and the Roadster?

I understand one is 4 channel and the other is 3, but are the gain channels sounding different? If so, in what way? Is Mesa using the same circuitry for both of these amps.

Does the Mark IV have more bottom / attack vs Roadster?

Thanks

• Members

Incredible similar, the cleans on the Dual Rec are grittier, and the Roadster has some additional modes that sound pretty good. I would bet that the same circuits are used for the 3rd and 4th channels that are used in the Dual Rec's 2nd and 3rd channels.

Mark IV is a different beast altogether, though still very Mesa in flavour. It is a tweaker's amp, but has some great stuff in it as well.

• Members

i owned both within a few weeks of each other and the roadtser sounds better. the roadtser cleans were improved and sounded great, the gain channels sounded more focused in the lows, the gain was clearer sounding also and it had a slightly quicker pick attack. its still got the recto sound but i think they just did a few minor improvements, its not a night and day difference but i think the roadtser was a better sounding amp.

• Members

To me Channel 3 of the Roadster sounded somewhat like the older 2 channel rectos high gain.......channel 4 somewhat like channel 3 on a 3 channel.....man that is worded goofy... :lol:

I think you hopefully get the idea.....like zao said though...they sound better than a standard 3 channel recto..

• Members

I had a Loadster and I loved it...

But I think my 3 channel TRIPLE recto sounds better...

I perfer the bigger throat of the Triple Recto over a dual recto...

It has a bigness that the Loadster did not have... Most likely becuase of the bigger power section... I recently did an A/B of my 3 channel Triple to to a 3 channel Dual rec and it was the same findings... IMO the Triple has a bit bigger throat on it and you can hear this especially when standing off axis to the speaker cab or even behind it the cab when someone else is playing the amp...

My channel T-Rec had the russian tubes in it which I think make alot of difference... the newer Mesas including the Loadster come with Chineese tubes which sound great but I like the Russian tubes in mine (430's I think) much better...

I got the head basicly NIB from a guy who bought it to learn how to play guitar but never really got around to it for $900.00 a couple months ago. In like 2+ years he had it it sat under the cover in his room sitting on top of a cab... The amp had like less than 10 hours on it..

I just sold 2 older triple rectos that were just fully retubed a 97 and a 99 model and I like the 3 channel triple I have WAAAAAAAAAAAY more... The older Triple I just sold rectos sounded a bit better going straight in, but the newer ones seem to have a much less scooped red channel and more bottom end and when boosted with a Maxon OD-9 sound WAY WAY better to my ears...

The Loadster was a killer amp and did sound amazing... but I think I would have liked it even better with the Russian tubes

I would really want to try a Still-Ghetto Trident Stage II right now...

Just my 2 cents...

• Members

I perfer the bigger throat of the Triple Recto over a dual recto...

It has a bigness that the Loadster did not have... Most likely becuase of the bigger power section... I recently did an A/B of my 3 channel Triple to to a 3 channel Dual rec and it was the same findings... IMO the Triple has a bit bigger throat on it and you can hear this especially when standing off axis to the speaker cab or even behind it the cab when someone else is playing the amp...

My channel T-Rec had the russian tubes in it which I think make alot of difference... the newer Mesas including the Loadster come with Chineese tubes which sound great but I like the Russian tubes in mine (430's I think) much better...

I got the head basicly NIB from a guy who bought it to learn how to play guitar but never really got around to it for $900.00 a couple months ago. In like 2+ years he had it it sat under the cover in his room sitting on top of a cab... The amp had like less than 10 hours on it..

I just sold 2 older triple rectos that were just fully retubed a 97 and a 99 model and I like the 3 channel triple I have WAAAAAAAAAAAY more... The older Triple I just sold rectos sounded a bit better going straight in, but the newer ones seem to have a much less scooped red channel and more bottom end and when boosted with a Maxon OD-9 sound WAY WAY better to my ears...

The Loadster was a killer amp and did sound amazing... but I think I would have liked it even better with the Russian tubes

I would really want to try a Still-Ghetto Trident Stage II right now...

Just my 2 cents...

i concurr about everything on the triple rec:thu: especially the ts9(that should be secret:lol:)

i think the roadsters a great amp very versatile but i dont think it has the same balls as the dual and triple rec i tried both a/bd and they didnt have the same feel i think the triple has way more headroom than the other amps and the dual just has more grind to it than the roadster ... so if you play lighter stuff go roadster if you play hardcore/deathmetal go dual/triple rec

• Members

How about tone definition? I found that at high volumes the Dual Rec looses definition and becomes muddy. So The Mark IV has more attack that the Roadster?

Zao... how do you like the Herbert vs the Mesa Roadster? I have the Herbert too but I was looking at a good sounding Mesa. Had the Dual Rec both 2 and 3 channels as as well as the RoadKing (first release) and didn't like the fact that they muddy up a bit with volume.

• Members

I've got a 2 channel Triple now and I really like the dirty tone, I just think the amp can't get clean enough. Plus I want more tonal range.

I wonder how the Road King II would stack up against a triple since you're able to crank through all 6 power tubes if you want.

I guess I'll see soon. I have a Road King II head on special order. 6 months ago in the Guitar Center they had a Road King series I... whoopdee doo. And I go back and it's gone and they didn't have a RKII to replace it with. :rolleyes:

So I bought the amp without playing the new version. With the series I, I was disappointed with the cleans and the reverb, but I hear that was the focus of the series II. Hopefully my little (BIG) gamble pays off. :)

Archived