Pete Thorn "Eruption" Videos CHECK THIS

Rayneman

• Members

Maybe everyone has seen this, but I think this is really cool. Peter Thorn plays, and then goes through the entire Eruption solo bit by bit, including the right type of gear to use. I believe that he's using his EVH 5150 III amp. Most of us here can probably play at least some parts of the solo, but its neat how he really dissects it and all the different parts.

Oddly enough, its on the Gibson website.

Scroll down until you get to "How To..." section. There are several different vids.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/Flashback%2078_%20Eddie%20Van%20Halen/

• Members

Yeah he does a good job, but there's a few clams. But the main pull off lick in the opening part he's teaching, is not correct. There's a couple of other fingerings that are off later. If you're a VH nut like me, you'll know that opening pull off lick and it's used all over that first album.

• Members

Yeah he does a good job, but there's a few clams. But the main pull off lick in the opening part he's teaching, is not correct. There's a couple of other fingerings that are off later. If you're a VH nut like me, you'll know that opening pull off lick and it's used all over that first album.

Hmm you have me thinking.. I dunno man ill go home and slow it down to 1/2 speed and examine it again.. But I'm 99% sure I'm doing it right. Not saying you are wrong though- I'm intrigued, maybe you can explain how u are doing it?

Ill listen in an hour or so and post again...

• Members

yeah I'm 99.99% sure I'm nailing it (after careful examination at half speed). Only thing is after the whole step bend on the 7th fret of the 3rd string, and then 5th fret of 2nd string and 5th fret of 1 st string, then- I may have added one note that's not on the original- I think it goes to the 8th fret of the 2nd string straight away, and then the pull-offs start... I said in the vid to go 5-8-5-0, and I think maybe it's just 8-5-0. But that's pretty minor- the pull-off licks that follow are definitely accurate, I can play along and lock it right up at 1/2 speed.

• Members

yeah I'm 99.99% sure I'm nailing it (after careful examination at half speed). Only thing is after the whole step bend on the 7th fret of the 3rd string, and then 5th fret of 2nd string and 5th fret of 1 st string, then- I may have added one note that's not on the original- I think it goes to the 8th fret of the 2nd string straight away, and then the pull-offs start... I said in the vid to go 5-8-5-0, and I think maybe it's just 8-5-0. But that's pretty minor- the pull-off licks that follow are definitely accurate, I can play along and lock it right up at 1/2 speed.

At the end of the day Pete - you have tons and tons of guitarists now playing eruption - correctly - who always wanted to learn, but either didnt know how, were too lazy or were close, but never quite there.

Thanks Dude - oh yea ditto for prudence...

If you were to ever offer lessons, i'd dust off my paypal acct.

• Members

Cool vids. I learned this song when I was 13, but there were some parts I could never get down properly. I may sit down with these vids and relearn it, they sound fairly accurate to the original. Don't know if you've got the tap count down 100% though, but I could be wrong. It's been a while since I've listened to the original.

Edit: yep you play the second half of the tapping lick correct, but your timing on the first half is wrong. When I play it I count each cycle of 3 notes as a beat and starting from the first arpeggio it should be 7,8,6,2,8,6,2,6,2,12 into the descending part. I'm guessing the 7 was likely a mistake on EVH's part, but to be 100% correct to the album version you've got to play it that way.

• Members

I just didn't see you using the open E in that pull lick as well as the 5th fret lick. It was one of his signature licks. It's a lot easier to keep the E on the fifth fret like you are, but it doesn't have the same ring/conviction at speed. I used to play it like you are but finally got my picking right and worked it through.

At slow speed, maybe the quality is degraded. I'd imagine you could make either way sound similar at slow speed.

• Members

oh gotcha buddastrat- I could see how what you're describing with moving that one "e" to the open 1st string is very possible. That pattern does show up alot on the 1st album...

same notes, but different way to play them, making the "e" pop out more because it's played on the open 1st string instead of on the 5th fret of the 2nd string.

• Members

I think it was spot on. Outstanding job....and I love the guitar too:thu:

Archived