5150 tubes from MF: suggestions?

Mr_GoodBomb

• Members

Alright, so I'm reposting this thread without interruptions (hopefully) and making the question a bit more general.

I need new tubes for my 5150, and I havre a 20% off coupon for Musician's Friend that expires soon. Might as well use it.

I get a lot suggestions for JJs (which they don't carry), but I heard JJs are very dark, which is the opposite of what I want. I don't like dark, I use a lot of presence and resonance, jacked up almost all the way, lows on 1, mids and highs on 9.

So, as far as I see, I'll most-likely go with the suggested Tungsol 6L6s. I dunno the different between hard, medium, and soft tubes. Advice? The other option would be Svetlanas.

As far as V1-V5, the options seem to be:

TungSol 12AX7

EH 12AX7EH

Mullard 12AX7

Sovtek 12AX7WA

Sovtek 12AX7WC

Those are the only 12AX7s I see offered, excluding Ruby, Groove Tubes, and Fender.

Please give me some suggestions. Thank you very much.

• Members

EHX and Tung-Sol 12AX7s are both bright tubes, in my experience, but I've seen reports that recent EHX tubes have poor gain characteristics compared to previous production batches. I'd go with the Tung-Sols, they're good tubes. Some call them harsh, but I disagree (though I suppose it depends on your definition of harsh and the application of the tubes).

• Members

I haven't used Tung-Sol's power tubes, so I can't comment on those, but in my experience (and once again, this is a generalization that may not apply to all amps) the most tone change I've had (as in, not just a change in overall gain characteristics but actual impact on how it sounds) comes from V1, so if you've got a preference for other tubes elsewhere or good advice on the matter then by all means go with that, just put the Tung-Sol 12AX7 in V1 for sure (and V5, with your amp).

• Members

I wouldn't be as worried about them being untested or faulty as I would inconsistant. Kinda hard to peg a certain sound of quality to a part that could be anything.

It's not like they blindfold a guy and have him pick random tubes from a box. The 6l6GC STR tubes are made in the Shuguang factory. Ruby tests and matches them so that you get only the good ones.

• Members

I have c9's for preamps and ruby's for power. Ive tried tung sol, eh,jj's,sovteks and like the c9's. The Eh's are bright jj's a little dark depends on what you like and your current setup. I have jj 6l6's also and they are also a little dark. I do still like the jan5751 in v1 or v2 but since my amp was modded i like it in v2. Overall I dont here much difference in swapping tubes unless you have a bad tube.

Archived