is there an amp tech in the house? want to fix my amp?

bluesboy

• Members

Hi all, i recently posted that my torres Eng. modded fender deluxe reverb had blown a fuse apparently out of the blue. I say out of the blue because ive been playing it for two weeks, and there were no problems and sounded quite good.

I bought some different fuses at radio shack. 2A 250V fast acting fuses blow instantly, the red power light doesnt even come on.

2.5A 250V slow blow fuses last about 1/2 second before blowing, the red light pops on and just about immediately goes off.

I did order new power tubes as well as a new rectifier tube, but they didnt arrive yet.

I noticed that the power tubes and rectifier seemed loose, i could rock them in their sockets.

Also, my preamp tubes were not plugged all the way in. the base of the tubes were not flush to the socket. i plugged them all in tight, and still popping fuses.

If something is wrong, i dont want to instantly ruin the new tubes i just got.

So, is there someone trustworthy here who could give my amp a nice lookthrough just to make sure everything is ok? I have not opened up the amp and looked inside yet, but frankly i dont know if id be able to see something wrong unless it was blatantly obvious, like a loose wire.

I would pull the chassis, and just ship that to you, along with the old tubes and new tubes. I would want someone to go through it with a fine comb, and if anything is wrong, please fix it.

I will pay shipping both ways, for any parts, and we can maybe work out a service payment. i would prefer to pay you with paypal.

I spent alot of money (for me) on this amp, and i already really like the tones it gave me while it was working.

please, somebody help a fellow forumite out.

post here, or PM me

• Members

Yes possibly. If it still pops the fuse with all tubes out then there's a short somewhere. To know for sure all the windings of the transformer should be metered, and the inside of the amp inspected. Maybe something got left in there when it was built, like a little piece of wire or something, and it found it's way across a couple of pins on a socket.... Long shot, but not impossible.

What mods were done? Just curious.

• Members

well, first of all the PCB is removed, and it's hand rewired PTP.

second, the reverb works on both channels

third there is a direct out on the back of the amp.

here's more info fromt he torres website:

All are built to Pre CBS specs.

The entire Printed circuit board is removed from your amp and an all new Torres point to point Eyelet board installed and wired.

New pots and controls, new switchcraft jacks, all carbon composition resistors, Torres super quality 418P Orange drop caps and all hand wired point to point.

A new Point to Point correct value power supply with the highest quality filter caps is also installed!! (Fender really missed it on the power supply for these amps)

Adjustable bias set up correctly and all 100% tested

Standard price uses your reverb, tubes (new tubes available of course), the original transformers, on-off, standby switches, fuse holder and tube sockets.

• Members

Tubes fail, a lot. They're by far the most common failure of tube amplifiers. Doesn't matter if the tubes are new, they can still fail (and they do more often than you realize).

It's probably the tubes, most likely the output or rectifier tubes.

• Members

Tubes fail, a lot. They're by far the most common failure of tube amplifiers. Doesn't matter if the tubes are new, they can still fail (and they do more often than you realize).

It's probably the tubes, most likely the output or rectifier tubes.

thanks, that's what i've been hearing (and reading about). im just concerned that if it's something else, it may ruin my tubes as well, and ill have wasted $50.

could it be a preamp tube as well, or most likely not?

Archived