MarkIV tone- just the MarkIV

petejt

• Members

Nup, this ain't me in the clip.

That's James Hetfield, of Metallica, laying down the demo for Enter Sandman, circa 1989-1990 (with Lars Ulrich on drums).

It's just the Mesa/Boogie MarkIV and a 4x12 cab. No MarkIIC+, no stacks of Marshalls, no tonnes of mics, and no triple layering!

[YOUTUBE]WQkBEfw-97Q[/YOUTUBE]

Personally I think the tone could be set a bit clearer, but I know from experience that's possible on the MarkIV.

Hear the chug! :rawk:

• Members
:thu:

Although there are certainly better clips out there than that one, for both clean and distorted.

Correct. thumbup.gif

I can get my MarkIV way clearer-sounding than that one, it's just that I need to decently record it somehow.

• Members

uh... there are two guitars on that recording there.

how do you know its a mark IV?

Yes there are two guitars there.

One guitar for the rhythm track, and a guitar for the solo which was overdubbed.

James Hetfield said himself that the amp was the MarkIV, while listening back to that track (in awe of the chug!) on Classic Albums. I think that particular part of the show is on YouTube somewhere but I cannot find it. When I do I shall post that part.

• Members

Why does Kirk Hammett always sound like his guitar is out of tune when he's playing? Its not just the bends either...

I'm not trying to start a "Flame Kirk" thing, just making an observation...

If you're referring to that clip, that was James. He was just noodling just so everyone would know where Kirk's solo would go.

• Members
If you're referring to that clip, that was James. He was just noodling just so everyone would know where Kirk's solo would go.

Wow... sounded like Kirk to me. James usually has better intonation.

But if that's the case, my apologies to Kirk! :thu:

• Members
uh... there are two guitars on that recording there.

how do you know its a mark IV?

Well to my still-developing ear, it sounds like one (albeit rather poor quality). But I know that was Jaymez's main amp for a long time, certainly during the black album period and beyond as well. Maybe still is :idk:

Anyone know if the Mark IV was on AJFA?

• Members

Anyone know if the Mark IV was on AJFA?

Nope, no MarkIV on ...And Justice For All. In fact I don't think the MarkIV was released when the album was recorded.

That album was (Kirk's) MarkIIC+ slaved into a Marshall JCM800, a Mesa/Boogie Quad preamp into a Mesa/Boogie Strategy 400 poweramp ("Bet Fuk Bix"), and two extra MarkIIC+ amp heads ("Mr Boo Crunch Berries" & "Cat {censored} Fag").

(Thanks to Flemming Rassmussen for originally providing the pics :thu: )

33k3c7p.jpg

2dl9hfs.jpg

• Members

Nope, no MarkIV on
...And Justice For All
. In fact I don't think the MarkIV was released when the album was recorded.

That album was (Kirk's) MarkIIC+ slaved into a Marshall JCM800, a Mesa/Boogie Quad preamp into a Mesa/Boogie Strategy 400 poweramp ("Bet Fuk Bix"), and two extra MarkIIC+ amp heads ("Mr Boo Crunch Berries" & "Cat {censored} Fag").

Ah that makes sense. Well I thought it was some sort of Mark, so I was half right I guess.

• Members

Ah that makes sense. Well I thought it was some sort of Mark, so I was half right I guess.

More than half right.

The MarkIIC+, MarkIII, MarkIV, Studio preamp & Quad preamp are all very similar to each other, there are only slight differences between them.

Archived