Power Tab, or Guitar Pro?

dr_love6977

• Members

Ok, I'm actually going to have to purchase it tho. I had a pirated version a while ago, and they eventually caught me and said if I tried it again they were going to report me for pirating software. But the price seems worth it to me, because if I remember right, the tabs were 100% more accurate than anything on the internet. Also, isn't there a way to export the midi sequences into EZDrummer or BFD so that you already have authored drum tracks?

• Members

+1 for Powertabs.

Guitar Pro is useless if you want to play along. Let's see, print the music on 15 pages, 5 pages for gtr 1, 5 for gtr 2, and 5 for gtr 3; or print 5 pages for all three on three staffs? For that reason alone Powertab is better. In addition, if you grew up on GFTPM, as I did, you will appreciate the fonts and notation. To top it all off, it's free and there are more songs.

• Members

Ok, I'm actually going to have to purchase it tho. I had a pirated version a while ago, and they eventually caught me and said if I tried it again they were going to report me for pirating software. But the price seems worth it to me, because if I remember right, the tabs were 100% more accurate than anything on the internet. Also, isn't there a way to export the midi sequences into EZDrummer or BFD so that you already have authored drum tracks?

I have both. They both can export to midi. The tabs for both are only as good as the tabbers.

• Members

I have used guitar pro, and have the powertab program as well, but i never took the time to figure out powertab--but am decent with guitar pro.

but i just use it to tab out songs AFTER I know what I'm doing. you know what I mean?

• Members

+1 for Powertabs.

Guitar Pro is useless if you want to play along. Let's see, print the music on 15 pages, 5 pages for gtr 1, 5 for gtr 2, and 5 for gtr 3; or print 5 pages for all three on three staffs? For that reason alone Powertab is better. In addition, if you grew up on GFTPM, as I did, you will appreciate the fonts and notation. To top it all off, it's free and there are more songs.

Example of not being able to use guitar pro properly.

You can play along with guitar pro! You can choose what format the music is shown in, on my guitar pro I can view the entire page just like power tabs, or in vertical scrolling, horizontal scrolling, with or without basic notation, just basic notation, the possibilities are endless really.

I bought it too :thu: Thought I had scrounged it long enough and I got tired with the "Please Update Your Software" message you get when tabs are made in a newer version.

• Members

+1 for Powertabs.

Guitar Pro is useless if you want to play along. Let's see, print the music on 15 pages, 5 pages for gtr 1, 5 for gtr 2, and 5 for gtr 3; or print 5 pages for all three on three staffs? For that reason alone Powertab is better.

Or you could just play along while watching your monitor. Who the hell prints tab pages out? It's not like you're sight reading. Just learn the tune and if some part gives you a little trouble, loop it until it's solid. Then play along to the CD not some lame midi track. :p

• Members

doesn't powertab not even have drum tracks?

anyway, I use TabIt to compose all my music, because it's WAY faster to write in.

I use guitarpro for tabs I can't find on the tabit website (tabit has a smaller community), but for anything I can find tabs of on tabit, I use it. It's just easier and quicker to use.

www.tabit.net

• Members

+1 for Powertabs.

I can play along with guitar pro just fine. :rawk:

• Members

Being an avid couch noodler at times while watching bad scifi movies I frequently print out powertab. I don't write tab just use what I have down loaded and it seems like there is far more available for powertab. I have them both and it's the quality of the tab and not the program that matters. Generally the rating in the powertab community is pretty spot on. Definetly my preferred except on the few occasions I found something on gp that was not on pwtb.

• Members

Or you could just play along while watching your monitor. Who the hell prints tab pages out? It's not like you're sight reading. Just learn the tune and if some part gives you a little trouble, loop it until it's solid. Then play along to the CD not some lame midi track.
:p

Well, it works the same way for playing along as it does for printing. I score all of my stuff for my band. When we rehearse if you don't know your part, you check the screen. It's pretty hard to do that when you can only view one staff in real time. With Powertabs, everyone in the band can view their part as it goes by.

Yes, I also print stuff out, as it helps to not "cheat" by following the highlight or if I want to just sit on the couch and play along with the tv and some tabs.

Archived