So I just bought an engagement ring.......

gmaj7

• Members

It's not a matter of not appreciating the gesture-- she consistently wears 10-20k jewelry (her mom's stuff, mostly, though she does have a 5k Chopard watch of her own with the matching earrings and ring which I don't know hte cost of) and she simply doesn't wear "cheap" stuff.

She has no interest in designer when it comes to this kind of thing, a diamond is a diamond and a family jeweler is just as good, but she won't wear something that's not a very expensive piece. I'd be lucky if I got out spending 5k. 10k would more be within range.

I feel for you man. That is a trait that I absolutely DEPLORE in women. It's one thing to look at a big, brilliant diamond and say, "wow". It's another thing all together to do what you are describing.

The $1600 ring I bought was appraised at $3000...not cheap. No matter what some snobbish chick says. The diamonds are as clear as can be. They hurt your eyes when they catch the sun. My girl is H A P P Y...and grateful.

As Walter Sobchek would say, "you're entering a world of pain".

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I feel for you man. That is a trait that I absolutely DEPLORE in women. It's one thing to look at a big, brilliant diamond and say, "wow". It's another thing all together to do what you are describing.

The $1600 ring I bought was appraised at $3000...not cheap. No matter what some snobbish chick says. The diamonds are as clear as can be. They hurt your eyes when they catch the sun. My girl is H A P P Y...and grateful.

As Walter Sobchek would say, "you're entering a world of pain".

I mean I agree with you and I've always told her that I'm a quality not quantity person and we have very few disagreements when it comes to most things-- she was raised in a culture that invests in real estate and jewelery and doesn't put a dime in the bank. Her parent's money is mostly in jewelery in safety deposit boxes and 4 or 5 properties, that's just how they roll. Some aspects of that have rubbed off on her and I don't really hold it against her-- it's not like she expects these things constantly but she has very fine and specific taste. One month's salary is pretty standard and I'm hoping to be doing better than 60k a year by the time I want to get married and have a family.

• Members

You see, when they don't ask and don't seem to care, it's cool to do something like that. I have a big issue with the diamond industry so it was hard for me to do it. In the end though, it was worth shocking the hell out of my girl. She is worth it.

I have an issue with the diamond industry too,...and honestly I thought about not doing it for a while. But in the end I just really wanted to give something to my wife like this,....she REALLY deserved it. I know it's easy for anyone to say that -- it's just the way I feel.

• Members

That's pretty standard here too, which is why I'm so surprised at what guys on here are saying.

At the time I got engaged, I was a 20 year old full-time student....a month's salary would have made for a really crappy ring.

The ring I did give her is a family heirloom, however, and is very nice.....I just didn't spend relatively anything on it.

• Members

In terms of money... but nice twist there.

I'm just giving you a hard time. I know what you are saying, and there is a difference between liking nice things and being greedy. You know her better than I do, and from what you are saying, sounds like she's the former :thu:.

• Members

damn, how much money do you make

I'm a student right now, but I intend on doing better than 60k when I want to raise a family. Can't do it reasonably on much less even in a two income home.

Realize where I live, however, expenses are quite a bit higher than most places in this country.

60k/12months = 5k. That's what I would thing is pretty reasonable in a ring, though the girl I've been with would rather see double that.

• Members

I'm just giving you a hard time. I know what you are saying, and there is a difference between liking nice things and being greedy. You know her better than I do, and from what you are saying, sounds like she's the former
:thu:

I mean she was much more of a brat when we met at 16 but she's grown up quite a bit. She doesn't succumb to the whole spoiled bitch thing or competition thing too much-- she'd love to be able to not worry about facing a family that's very judgmental about that kind of thing, but knows also that she can hold her head high without that crap. But she doesn't want to walk around wearing such nice and expensive things she's owned her whole life and a have an engagement ring that just doesn't work. She wants to wear it every day and be happy looking at it and never feel that wearing anything else will make it look cheap, etc.

It's the one thing that doesn't bother me. She wants a ridiculous wedding, but understands that I won't and my family would never pay what her family spends on weddings and doesn't have any expectation that we'll contribute anymore than we can afford and do what we can with it. I actually really, really hate the concept of her view of wedding, but I'm not putting a ring on her yet so I've got some time to fight that one.

I'm more of a quiet, private guy, but Russian weddings are worse than bar mitzvahs in my area.

• Members

Because that's how much it took to get a ring that was a little bigger than her sister's.

Then you're making a huge mistake. When I married my wife, I could barely afford the $300 I spent at the custom jeweler my boss hooked me up with. 11 years later and I got a raise equal to the amount I made when I got married, and my wife STILL won't let me upgrade her diamond or buy her a new ring. And we live in an area where all of her friends are sporting huge rocks on their fingers.

• Members

Man.....I was kinda hoping this would turn into a "dream rig" thread. Or maybe even a "I'd leave my wife for a _______" thread. Oh well. I am generally a very frugal guy. But it fit into my budget. She is ready for me to propose, she has no idea what kind of ring it is, or how big or how expensive. She has already told me she doesn't care..."white gold" was all she said. She makes me feel like the luckiest guy on earth...so for that, I bought an expensive ring.

• Members

When a women gives me a custom shop Gibson Les Paul and new half stack, that's when I'll buy her a $7,000 ring.

"every rocker deservers a good setup"

See the girl I'm talking about would do that in a second if that's what I wanted. Which is why if I end up popping the question she'll have an awesome ring.

She's the kind of girl that would save on the side and pull me into the best vintage shop in the country and say anything you want, your choice, go right ahead for a 5 year anniversary.

• Members

Man.....I was kinda hoping this would turn into a "dream rig" thread. Or maybe even a "I'd leave my wife for a _______" thread. Oh well. I am generally a very frugal guy. But it fit into my budget. She is ready for me to propose, she has no idea what kind of ring it is, or how big or how expensive. She has already told me she doesn't care..."white gold" was all she said. She makes me feel like the luckiest guy on earth...so for that, I bought an expensive ring.

Hey, forget all the naysayers, including me earlier.

If you're happy, we're happy...and best of luck to both of you.

• Members

Hell yeah, a huge congrats. Just make sure to keep her kinky in bed. That ring can do some pretty {censored}ty things to a man's sex life, from what I hear.

• Members

Thanks..I wouldn't have posted here if I didn't expect some {censored}. :thu:

• Members

Ah, gotcha. So it was you that wanted to make it bigger than her sisters, not her. Well, that's awesome on you then. As far as dream rigs go, my wife lets me buy whatever gear I want, as long as our mutual financial goals for the month are met, so I don't ever think about it much. Congrats to you!

• Members

When a women gives me a custom shop Gibson Les Paul and new half stack, that's when I'll buy her a $7,000 ring.

"every rocker deservers a good setup"

On our honeymoon to Disney World, which she paid for by the way, there was a this small but awesome guitar shop in Downtown Disney called Guitar Gallery. They had this superstrat with a dragon carved on the top, and at the time I really liked it. The price tag was a little over $5k. She told me it was mine if I wanted it. She had a small trust fund worth nearly $100k from a childhood accident.

Archived