12AT7 in V1 and/or V2 for Deluxe Reverb

tommy_is_here

• Members

So, I've been playing with my DR and spending Sunday swapping in/out 12Ax7 tubes in V1/V2. I don't have any NOS, but do have several varieties of modern tubes (EH, Mullard, Tungsol, JJ)

I tried putting a 12AT7 into V1, and noticed I like it quite a bit. It quiets the amp a bit, and also tonally mellows the brights a bit too. (my amp is pretty tweaked: ptp rebuilt, speakers, etc.)

Wondering if anyone else put 12AT7's in V1 and/or V2? I put a JJ ECC81 (equivalent of an 12AT7) into V1; thinking of buying a matching one for V2 and trying the combo out.

Cheers,

Tommy

• Members

Try a 5751 in V1, it is the same 70 amplification factor as the 12AT7, but is a better tube musically and is generally quieter than an AT tube. I have used the 5751's in V1 and V2 of my Tweed bassman varitaion to calm it down a bit and it workd very well.

• Members

I don't think anything is wrong with either the AX7 or my AT7s. Perhaps bright is not the best adjective; the highs are just too high with the AX7s. I usually play clean in any cases. I know that the tubes are fine.

The amp just had a massive operation - complete point to point rebuild. Really good quality parts. Seems like the AT7s mellowed it out (certainly made the volume more quiet)

So, 5751, eh? I'll check those out too! Thanks.

Was hoping to put some RCA NOS if I could find decent prices AT7s. Any recommendations on which 5751 would go nice with a pair of 6v6 RCA Gts?

Cheers,

Tom

• Members

Mike (KCA tubes!) - I recall you are also a Deluxe Reverb fan.

What tube combinations have worked well for you? (I have a nice Weber 12F150 in mine, again a complete point to point rebuild as mine was a DRRI).

Specifically curious about V1 and V2, and maybe looking to darken the tone a bit.

I would like to go NOS, but hope to keep it reasonable as some of the stuff is just crazy in my mind (ie. US$100+ for one preamp tube). Would love to hear your thoughts.

Many thanks!

-Tommy

• Members

I have an amp tech who does my amps. He always says that AT7's were never designed to be an audio tube...only for technical functions...and as such should only be used for things like phase inverters, reverb tubes etc....I've used AT7 tubes and never thought they sounded and different than other low gain tubes in V1 or V2's.....Personally I don't like the sound of anything other than a 12AX7 in V1 or V2. Lower gain tubes seem to give you headroom...but it's at the expense of all that cool sparkle and shimmer that good Fender cleans are all about. In short it seems to take away more than it gives. I'd rather just turn down the treble knob if I want to mellow the brights and quiet the amp.

But like I always said before: If you really want to hear some tonal results modding your amp...forget about playing around with tubes. Swap out the speaker.

Archived