Cheap recording solution?

tommy_is_here

• Members

So, wondering if folks could point me to a cheap recording solution to record the following set up:

1) mic'ed guitar amp

2) my vocals

that's it.

What's a good, simple cheap solution? What else do I need aside from a pair of Shure 57s?

Thanks!

Tommy

Might I suggest getting a different mic to pair with the SM57? I went with an AT2020 so I wasn't a) getting two similar mics (dynamics), and b) so I would have something that works a bit better for acoustic and vox.

I was going through the same thing as you recently. If you search threads started by me you'll see a ton of good recommendations I received between here, the recording, the fx, and guitar forums, as well as what I eventually ended up getting. Good luck :thu:

• Members

A nice audio interface is good. I use the original digidesign Mbox with Pro Tools LE for all my recordings and it works great. Check out my new song "Simple life" in my soundclick (link in signature) for a sample.

• Members

Might I suggest getting a different mic to pair with the SM57? I went with an AT2020 so I wasn't a) getting two similar mics (dynamics), and b) so I would have something that works a bit better for acoustic and vox.

I was going through the same thing as you recently. If you search threads started by me you'll see a ton of good recommendations I received between here, the recording, the fx, and guitar forums, as well as what I eventually ended up getting. Good luck
:thu:

There are lots of good dynamics that are really multi-purpose. I don't think I'd even wanna waste time with budget condenser mics. I'd rather have something like the Shure SM7b... awesome mic for recording vocals, but that mic wouldn't really be a very good choice if you also wanted to use it live... lots of things to consider, including vocal style, type of music, if you want to use it on various instruments/vocals, if you want to use it live, etc.

There is a great mic for live use (that I am not going to mention at the moment because I am a bastard and watching it on ebay and don't want anybody on here outbidding me, lol) that apparently puts the beta 58 to shame for live use.... but I'm not sure how well it works for recording... I'll mention the name of it after I win/lose the auction on ebay lolz :p

EDIT: I wasn't saying that audio technica is a bad mic. I was just saying it's possible to have two really good dynamic mics for recording that are different... (you saying you didn't want two mics that were too similar)

• Members
There are lots of good dynamics that are really multi-purpose. I don't think I'd even wanna waste time with budget condenser mics. I'd rather have something like the Shure SM7... awesome mic for recording vocals, but that mic wouldn't really be a very good choice if you also wanted to use it live... lots of things to consider, including vocal style, type of music, if you want to use it on various instruments/vocals, if you want to use it live, etc.

There is a great mic for live use (that I am not going to mention at the moment because I am a bastard and watching it on ebay and don't want anybody on here outbidding me, lol) that apparently puts the beta 58 to shame for live use.... but I'm not sure how well it works for recording... I'll mention the name of it after I win/lose the auction on ebay lolz
:p

I use an ADK A-51 condenser for most of the things I record. It's way more versatile than a dynamic like, for instance, the SM57 IMO.

• Members
I use an ADK A-51 condenser for most of the things I record. It's way more versatile than a dynamic like, for instance, the SM57 IMO.

Really like your stuff, mang. Probably my favourite stuff on this forum.
Nice pedal steel stuff on Simple Life.

:thu: Great tones.

• Members
Really like your stuff, mang. Probably my favourite stuff on this forum.

Nice pedal steel stuff on Simple Life.

:thu:
Great tones.

Thanks a lot! All the instruments were recorded using only the A-51 mic.

Archived