a new song and question

janusmanus

• Members

Hi everybody,

before I proceed ? would like to thank everybody who should read and listen to what is to come.sorry for the length.

It has been several mounths that ? have been a frequenter of HC, and actually all internati?onal musical forums, and the basic thing that has struck me is that everybody here seem to have some musical common language and stance as to whatever is talked about. the obvious one being the lyrics and the susequent song structure. untill ? visited here ? was not aware that there was a preconcieved structure to lyrics and songs like verse, chorus vers etc.

Actually they are not totally foreign to my local musical universe, but, for example, the lyrical structure of the song that is end of this post is is so much widespread in turkey that ? was much sprised to find that the rest of the world would think of such forms as "lacking" the normal ingradients of a song, its almost as widespread as "country" is in america.

the lyrical form is quartets following each other in a succesive way, and naturally the music also become repititive.

the song ? am going to post is actually of the same folkloric origin (it belongs to me, not that its traditional).musically it is an extention of a chorus, perhaps a very extended one.the arrangement is totally non-traditional, ( sorry for the length of the intro of the song again) but the basic song is like other turkish folk stuff

what ? really wonder, supposing that you are not familiar with turkish folk music, is this: does it really sound in need of some lyrical verse, chorus chain or musical hooks bridges and the other stuff complimenting the lyrical progression.

another feedback point that will really be helpfull is , since ? used a guitar processor for the first time in my life and devoted almost two days to the mixing and mastering, does it sound as if performed by a beginner and is the mix etc satisfactory at least.

By the way, it is in kurdish this time, my mother tongue, and called "agire Evin".

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=17946

thanks for any input.

• Members

I listened to "Agire Evin". What an unusual (for me) mixture of, I think you called it EthnoRock. Tell me you played some of those instruments and those are not all samples and loops. Nice percussions and of course you know you can add translated lyrics on Soundclick. I'll try to listen to more this weekend.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=481684

• Members

toxic bass wrote:

I listened to "Agire Evin". What an unusual (for me) mixture of, I think you called it EthnoRock. Tell me you played some of those instruments and those are not all samples and loops. Nice percussions and of course you know you can add translated lyrics on Soundclick. I'll try to listen to more this weekend.

you are the first guy to like my percussion results.actually, only one out of five percussion tracks is midi, the rest is played.can ? take it as an implicit answere to the second part of my question?as to the lyrics, since they are not mine and far removed from the contemprary lyrical frequency , ? consider them only as musical sounds not words.

its a love song goes like" the night is gone and obviously you arent ganna come back, sleep is gone and is not gonna come back,too", or something like that.

both liks have the latest versions now.

download:

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=17946

stream:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=421846&songID=3570099

well the question in my original post remains untouched.

• Members

Thanks for all the comments.

Also you might try developing the female vocal from doubling the melody to go into a harmony or counter-melody in a high register in the last repeat of the chorus for some additional dramatic contrast.

Tom A, if ? am not mistaking some music terminology, there is no female in the vocals.And you are right about the counter melody, ? stuck to my traditional vocal style throught the song to keep the ethnic flavour at least in the vocal.

thanks again for all who took the trouble to listen.

• Members

Overall, I dig the groove. I'm a big fan of songs that pretty much hinge on one chord, like Hendrix's "Machine Gun" for example. However, I think this song would benefit from a chord change or two, maybe a bridge, to break up the monotony of just the one chord.

Nevertheless, it's interesting to hear some Turkish folk music...sounds like rock & roll to me... :D

g-o

• Members

Damn, I love this tune! It's a trip. I listened a few time with a good set of Sennheiser headphones, it was so three demensional I had visions of being in some dark smoke filled room with hands appearing banging on drums. Here in NYC I hear music from all over the world, so the style is not so strange to me I feel like I can judge this tune with an open mind.

First off the opening build-up is beautiful, when the drums kick in it becomes a great dance tune. That mid-eastern singing in the begining is also quite nice, though your deeper voice on the rest of the tune is a little rough, I might bring that back a touch in the mix so you can really let this hypnotic goove shine through. The fuzz guitar adds some artsey coolness to the track. Though the fuzz riff right at the end could have been better, it sounded a kind of like those bad Amercian Indian riffs from some 1950's movie. Overall I think it was great tune, I'll listen to it again.

Archived