Do Greenbacks sound good with SPLAWN???

gripside80

• Members

I am just curious.... I am thinking of replacing my Vintage 30's (cause they dont sound good with my Splawn QR) with some Greenbacks. Any input would be appreciated.

Yeah, the v30's kind of blow with the Splawn (I have a QR).

This weekend I swapped out two v30's and threw in some G12H30's (on the bottom, not X-Pattern) and it made a real nice difference. Since I "just did it" it's still the honeymoon period and I'll resist the temptation to say they are GREAT! But, the early returns are that it is far better than just having 4 v30's in the Mesa cab.

Shreder75 is our local Splawn Guru...listen to his advice. In fact, all my purchases revolve around what Shreder buys...when he sticks with something...I go get it. :lol:

• Members

i highly recommend the splawn small block 25s with the QR. they are based off the g12m heritage greenbacks. i have two of them in a splawn 212. the QR sounds absolutely huge through that cab. i currently also have a splawn 412 w/ an eminence governor/splawn small block25 x-pattern that i also really like with the QR. it's very tight and punchy, but super thick sounding and not bright at all. very smooth. great bass response.

• Members

i highly recommend the splawn small block 25s with the QR. they are based off the g12m heritage greenbacks. i have two of them in a splawn 212. the QR sounds absolutely huge through that cab. i currently also have a splawn 412 w/ an eminence governor/splawn small block25 x-pattern that i also really like with the QR. it's very tight and punchy, but super thick sounding and not bright at all. very smooth. great bass response.

How much did you pay for the small block 25's? You changed you name!!! You are just the man I wanted answers from!! Windsen? Right?

• Members

I would think you could probably flip them if you dont like them and get your money back. I know that supposedly the GBs are low watts but has anyone ever blown out a 2x12 with them in it with a 100 watt amp? Is a 2x12 with greenbacks just a bad idea?

• Members

yea, this is windsen. $250 shipped for a new set of 4 greenies seems like a really great deal man. That'd be hard to pass up. The sb25s are awesome speakers but you've got a chance to get a great deal on some other great speakers as well. it's really up to you dude.

what what i remember when i was able to compare the sb25s to celestion greenies, the sb25s had a bit more mids with a smoother top end. also the sb25s are actually 55 watts where as the greenies are 25.

• Members

Thanks for the input dude! For $250 shipped I'm gonna have to atleast give them a try ya know?!?! Ill probably do the sb25's in another cab (Splawn hopefully!!!)

How's the Nitro treatin you? I need one! I want one! Bad! lol

• Members

still diggin the hell out of the nitro. i haven't had much time to play the past couple of weeks...not really since recording the latest nitro/qr clips. been really busy. i go back and forth b/t which amp i prefer more...for a while it was the QR, but since retubing the nitro, that's the amp i've been playing with mostly.

• Members

How's the Nitro treatin you? I need one! I want one! Bad! lol

I'm not the intended response, but I heard one this last weekend. We A/B'd it with my Competition.

There was no Competition though.

The Nitro is stupid good. This one had EL34's. Much more bass and tightness and depth and whatever else than my KT88 Comp. Plus it was smoother at the same time. To the Competition's credit though, I found zero use for OD1 on the Nitro whereas I love the gears on the Comp (but wish I could go from 1 to 3).

• Members

I'm not the intended response, but I heard one this last weekend. We A/B'd it with my Competition.

There was no Competition though.

The Nitro is stupid good. This one had EL34's. Much more bass and tightness and depth and whatever else than my KT88 Comp. Plus it was smoother at the same time. To the Competition's credit though, I found zero use for OD1 on the Nitro whereas I love the gears on the Comp (but wish I could go from 1 to 3).

hey man, very cool on duking out the comp with the nitro. pretty sweet amp, eh? i've actually been tinkering with the idea of trying out el34s again in my nitro but the kt77s still rock. so you tended to stay on OD2 of the Nitro? for me personally, i like OD1. OD2 adds more bass, which the amp has enough of. OD1 keeps things extra tight and articulate where as OD2 saturates even more, which is great for leads, but for tight rthytm playing, OD1 is where it's at for me :thu: the gears are definately a cool thing to have on the other splawns but i've found the gain taper on the nitro to be really wide, covering a lot of different gain territories.

Archived