Marshall JMP1 - mids...scoop?

Johansolo

• Members

so my friend who is going to be working away has left me his Marshall JMP-1 and JFX-1 (plus other stuff) to sell for him.

i plugged the JMP-1 and JFX direct to my presonus firebox (same way i connect my Vamp2) and decied to have a play/record through cubase.

so i started tweaking the settings and cant help notice that i have to set the mids i the negative area -2 and below) and still find this thing really middy? on OD1 and OD2

wtf? i feel like such a noob for having to lower/scoop the mids on this thing...

• Members

so my friend who is going to be working away has left me his Marshall JMP-1 and JFX-1 (plus other stuff) to sell for him.

i plugged the JMP-1 and JFX direct to my presonus firebox (same way i connect my Vamp2) and decied to have a play/record through cubase.

so i started tweaking the settings and cant help notice that i have to set the mids i the negative area -2 and below) and still find this thing really middy? on OD1 and OD2

wtf? i feel like such a noob for having to lower/scoop the mids on this thing...

My housemate used to have a Marshall JMP-1. I'll ask him about your problem next week when I get back from work.

• Members

When I had it I dialed a rhythm sound on OD1 bass 4, mid -2, treble 0, presence 2

and for leads OD2 bass 2, mid 0, treble 0, presence 2.

In both cases I had boost on and gain on 16 if this helps.

*Edit 1 The power amp was a VHT 2/50/2

*Edit 2 Do not use its loop because simply is a tone sucker.

• Members

JMP-1 's are quite mid heavy so your not a full noob

Yup... The ADA MP-1's like that, too.

I guess one thing to remember is some of these MIDI controlled preamps have active EQs: a passive EQ can ONLY cut a frequency, so when a passive is dimed it typically just means that band is not being attenuated/cut... so that means a "0" on your active EQ may be equivalent to a "10" on an equivalent passive design (with anything more than "0" equating to a boost). So, -2 on an active might be similar in mid content to the same basic preamp design with a passive tone stack set to 7 or 8. It depends on the design and how they calibrate it, etc, of course, but I think this is common and it makes Active EQs easy for people to shoot themselves in the foot with. Even non-n00bs. :thu:

Good job following your ears, instead of your eyes. ;)

• Members

I have had a JMP-1 since '94 and still have it to this day. I love that preamp, however, I would never judge its tone by going direct into a computer. Yikes. The direct outs on that are decent at best. The mids at -2 or so is about right to get a nice tone. I would not consider that a scooped tone in any way. :thu:

• Members

When I had it I dialed a rhythm sound on OD1 bass 4, mid -2, treble 0, presence 2

and for leads OD2 bass 2, mid 0, treble 0, presence 2.

In both cases I had boost on and gain on 16 if this helps.

*Edit 1 The power amp was a VHT 2/50/2

*Edit 2 Do not use its loop because simply is a tone sucker.

+100.00000:thu:

• Members

Another thing to add is that the passive tone stack in most modern amps cuts a pretty substantial amount of mids naturally, when all of the controls are flat. In essence, you're ALWAYS scooping teh midz, unless you run your tone stack at 0-10-0.

• Members

well my friend dropped off an EL34 50/50 power amp and a 1960a cab so i got to have a decent play with the JMP-1/JFX-1 through it. i made some patches up so im ready if anyone calls up to try it out.

th_P1000842.jpg

th_P1000838.jpg

th_P1000840.jpg

this setup sounds very "crisp" and only really mellows out with the treble and presence (on both pre and power) set real low.

defnitely a crunch machine.

• Members

well my friend dropped off an EL34 50/50 power amp and a 1960a cab so i got to have a decent play with the JMP-1/JFX-1 through it. i made some patches up so im ready if anyone calls up to try it out.

th_P1000842.jpg
th_P1000838.jpg
th_P1000840.jpg

this setup sounds very "crisp" and only really mellows out with the treble and presence (on both pre and power) set real low.

I always turn the presence of on my marshalls.

JJ's in the power amp helps

• Members

th_P1000842.jpg
th_P1000838.jpg
th_P1000840.jpg

Wow, that looks pretty cool. :cool:

Where abouts do you get to crank that up? You live out near Darlington or Bullsbrook or somethin'?

• Members

im North of hte River...

i only cranked it for a little bit...i set it to where my ears are physically hurting...then i just back it off a notch.

i also have a Framus cobra ...my neighbours love me...but ill be moving to my new house in Maylands real soon...much higher density living...

ironically...as part of my work im an authorised noise officer

• Members

im North of hte River...

i only cranked it for a little bit...i set it to where my ears are physically hurting...then i just back it off a notch.

i also have a Framus cobra ...my neighbours love me...but ill be moving to my new house in Maylands real soon...much higher density living...

ironically...
as part of my work im an authorised noise officer

:rawk:

• Members

im North of hte River...

ironically...as part of my work im an authorised noise officer

lol :lol:

I'm north of the river too, right up at North Beach. Actually I get to crank my amps fairly loud, as long as all the windows and doors of the music room are closed tight. It helps that there's a big front yard to help offset the noise getting out to the street.

So far I've had no complaints thank goodness.

I haven't seen my mate yet, but when I do I will ask him about how he set the mids on his old Marshall JMP-1.

Archived