help w/ laptop recording

vrm

• Members

I know alot of guys in here are pretty proficient w/ pc recording. What I'm looking to do is take my laptop to band practice and set up a few room mikes just to get rough ideas down so we don't forget them. I have a new dual-core w/ 2gig mem vista laptop, I have like 3 or 4 decent mikes and cables. What is the least expensive way to get something going.Toneport? Usb mixer and some software? not sure.

• Members

I record with my laptop and a USB interface mixer. The mixer I use is an Alesis MultiMix 8USB Mixer. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-MultiMix-8USB-Mixer-with-USB-and-DSP?sku=630166

4 inputs. I also have a copy of cool edit pro that I run with it.

Something to note: The Cubase LE software that comes with the Alesis mixer does not run with Vista. They don't support vista with this particular version of cubase. It sucks, but that's life....

There are many options here, just giving you one.

• Members

Does your laptop have Firewire? If it does then you've got a wider range of audio interfaces to choose from.

Just make sure they have good Vista drivers though because many audio interfaces are still crap in that department.

• Members

Does your laptop have Firewire? If it does then you've got a wider range of audio interfaces to choose from.

Just make sure they have good Vista drivers though because many audio interfaces are still crap in that department.

True that...I really wish that I had firewire...didn't think about that when I bought the thing though.

Archived