Thinking about buying a Carvin CS6.

BAZGUITARMAN

• Members

You know me, total Carvin fanboi. 7 and counting. Go for it, those quilt tops are insane. The neck join has been getting rave reviews, the pickups are as well (a rarity from Carvin), I think that unless you like the specific specs of the alternatives - the LTDs, etc - going the Carvin Custom route is wintastic.

I want to put my wiener in most of the input jacks of Carvins I've seen.....

• Members
Since I sold my EC-1000 I no longer have a LP type single cut in my rig. So I'm thinking about buying a new single cut when my worker's comp settlement comes through. I set a limit of $2K for a new guitar. And guess what. There isn't one LP in that price range that I want. I considered an ESP Eclipse II, but the quilted top models do not have ebony fretboards. Dean has the Soltaro, but the damn thing costs over $3K.

So now I'm looking at the Carvin CS6, which is the new single cut Galifornia carved top model. I'm familiar with Carvin guitars so I know the pros and cons. I speced one out and was able to go with all the bells and whistles for well under $2K with case and shipping.

So far I can't find any other reputable and quality single cut that would compare price or feature wise. Has anyone put hands on one of the new CS series guitars yet?

cs6-qdt6.jpg

Eric

How you been Eric, i haven't seen you on the forums in a while, did you trade the amp forum for the guitar forum lol.

• Members

Quilt and ebony will be hard to find in a LP style guitar. If I were looking for an LP, I'd be looking really hard at Heritage. My experience has been that they're quite a bit better than Gibson and Carvin.

Personally, I think you'd want to be really, really secure in your masculinity to pull a quilt like that out in public, but that's just me.

• Members

How you been Eric, i haven't seen you on the forums in a while, did you trade the amp forum for the guitar forum lol.

Nah, just havn't had much time to post lately. Trying to get things lined up with my worker's comp thing. April 12 will be a year since my surgery and I'm still waiting.

My wife and kids are tired of seeing me mope around so I guess I'll put another band together and play some local joints. Have to pick up a few odds and ends in the gear dept. so I'm doing a little research.

Gotta find me a nice single cut to go with my Juggy and M-1. The new Carvin is looking good right now. I wish I was close to one of their stores so I could do some hands on.

Eric

• Members

Quilt and ebony will be hard to find in a LP style guitar. If I were looking for an LP, I'd be looking really hard at Heritage. My experience has been that they're quite a bit better than Gibson and Carvin.

Personally, I think you'd want to be really, really secure in your masculinity to pull a quilt like that out in public, but that's just me.

Honest question: Are you saying that a AAAA quilted top is a little girly?

Eric, I have also looked at the CS6 guitars and they sure are pretty. I prefer the smaller headstock FWIW.

• Members

You know me, total Carvin fanboi. 7 and counting. Go for it, those quilt tops are insane. The neck join has been getting rave reviews, the pickups are as well (a rarity from Carvin), I think that unless you like the specific specs of the alternatives - the LTDs, etc - going the Carvin Custom route is wintastic.

teebes, these are full-thickness LP style bodies, right? I love my EC1000, but I'm thinking I might want something with a bit more heft to it, and these Carvins look like fantastic guitars.

• Members

teebes, these are full-thickness LP style bodies, right? I love my EC1000, but I'm thinking I might want something with a bit more heft to it, and these Carvins look like fantastic guitars.

I don't think they are full LP thickness but from what I've been told on the Carvin forums they are thicker than the ESP/LTD Eclipses.

My last single cut was a sweet EC-1000 and I honestly feel the thinner body didn't hurt the tone one bit. Mine was just as thick sounding as a LP in the low end, but was tighter and had better attack. I think what hurt the EC-1000 so bad was using 24 frets on a 24.75" neck scale. I didn't like that at all and is the only reason I ended up selling the guitar.

The CS6 is built on the Carvin 25" scale and is set up with 22 frets. That should make for a more comfortable fret spacing and will make the position of the neck pickup centered around the harmonic sweet spot.

A lot of the first CS6 owners are reporting their guitar weights around 9 lbs. Which is substantial and solid, but not over heavy and clunky. They also told me the body and top are thicker than the CT6 which is the PRS inspired double cut.

Eric

• Members

Sperzel loking tuners are the win. My ESP never goes out of tune.

Too true. I have lockers on almost all of my guitars. I think they should be standard on any guitar over $500.00. I've had good luck out of Sperzels, Schallers, Gotoh and Planet Waves lockers.

Eric

Archived