best solid state...

CorpseTumor

• Members
Some people are tube snobs and won't accept anything that isn't tube.

Those people are close minded MORONS.

SS can be just as good and better then tube amps.

and tube amps CAN sound {censored}ty+require a hell of a lot of maintenance.

I own both solid state AND tube amps and I definitely prefer my SS gear better.

exactly what im thinknig.which is why i want him to back up his reason as i have researched for something that can do what i want at my price range andd all i can find is a ss amp that seems like its going the way i want.If i get the vh140 im definitely keeping it even if i get a tube.(but who knows i might like it enough to build a rig around it) im just trying to open up my choices though.:)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
exactly what im thinknig.which is why i want him to back up his reason as i have researched for something that can do what i want at my price range andd all i can find is a ss amp that seems like its going the way i want.If i get the vh140 im definitely keeping it even if i get a tube.(but who knows i might like it enough to build a rig around it) im just trying to open up my choices though.
:)

well., you're also going to need a cabinet to go with the head, you know...

• Members

STFU BITCH.

I beg your pardon?

Why are you telling me to STFU?

I was just expressing that of all the ss amps I've tried, the Prichard was hands down the best.

I even like it better than a lot of high end tube amps.

You ever try one?

Dominick

• Members

As for tube look for a used Peavey Ultra plus head. If you keep watching ebay you will see them pop up. You could get one in your price range. 3 channels with plenty of gain for what you want to do.

As for SS I'd suggest the Crate FW120H. 3 channels, nice chimey clean, tons of gain. You have to be careful with the gain settings as they can get buzzy. At $299 it's well within your budget.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-Flexwave-Series-FW120H-120W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481053

• Members

Thanks for all the recomendations!im intruged alot on the peavey ultra and the valvestates.any opinions on those?

It's hard to say.. some people don't like the way those sound.. the peavey's in my opinion all have this fizz factor going on that sounds.. not too great...in my opinion.

and have you heard of the band, Death?

well chuck used a valvestate 8100 for his recorded tones.

• Members
It's hard to say.. some people don't like the way those sound.. the peavey's in my opinion all have this fizz factor going on that sounds.. not too great...in my opinion.

and have you heard of the band, Death?

well chuck used a valvestate 8100 for his recorded tones.

I was actually a bit worried on the peavey:/ everytime i tried one out(cept the jsx to my ears) it has that fizz your talking bout.It sounds harsh to me.Im still intruged on the old peavey though.
Death used a valvestate?!?:o ohh man i must research those,which are the better valvestates?You know if they can get a bit heavier than that?

• Members
I was actually a bit worried on the peavey:/ everytime i tried one out(cept the jsx to my ears) it has that fizz your talking bout.It sounds harsh to me.Im still intruged on the old peavey though.

Death used a valvestate?!?
:o
ohh man i must research those,which are the better valvestates?You know if they can get a bit heavier than that?

the new valvestates suck.

also, Prong uses the 8100 also.. there's a video on youtube floating around that sounds AWESOME..

i'll try to find it for you.

• Members

I ran with Marshall VS100R's through 1960's for quite a few years. These are considered to be more of a second generation and are light years above the AVT's.

Solid and dependable with great tone. I only got rid of them because I moved into TSL's when the money allowed.

Given a good deal, I would love to have a VS100 in my arsenal again....

Brandon

• Members

yeah could save me some money to invest in a cab this way.Im sure it can do grindcore pretty well.If the cleans a re decent i can get floyd.only problem is really brutal death metal lol.i dont play much of that other than covers.

the cleans are fine, trust me on that.

try to win the auction then get a nice cab with the remaining money.

Even if you had a head, you wouldn't be able to make any sound without a cab. you know...

• Members

zeptallica thanks for the offer ill let you know ;D i might wait on the valvestate.

voltaire the picture does have to do with the thread but i do not want a jazz chorus to connect a buncha pedals to lol.i am aware i cant play without a cab though

Archived