Does a Crate V3112 Need Biasing?

bmast160

• Members

and the same goes for a vox ac30cc2 right? cathode bias so doesnt need biasing after switching power tubes?

Correct. You can actually switch the cathode resistor from 50 ohms to 82 ohms, which runs the tubes a little cooler. That's the "bias" switch on the back.

• Members

Correct. You can actually switch the cathode resistor from 50 ohms to 82 ohms, which runs the tubes a little cooler. That's the "bias" switch on the back.

well thats easy enough...

should the bias switch be on any particular setting for certain brands of EL84s as opposed to others...i usually just leave the back switches on "hot" and "modern" to get the amp closer to running class a

• Members

well thats easy enough...

should the bias switch be on any particular setting for certain brands of EL84s as opposed to others...i usually just leave the back switches on "hot" and "modern" to get the amp closer to running class a

It's totally about taste.

The AC30 isn't really Class A in any iteration. The modern setting just changes the power supply filtering from 22 uf to 44 uf, which changes the feel of the amp.

I also run mine with the switches in Hot and Modern, but I may try the lower filtering at band practice next week for giggles.

Archived