Linux... another hurdle passed for n00bs

JBecker

• Members

Running free in Wine now.

Yeah... I'm not a big graphics editor so I don't need Photoshop but that's probably complaint number 2. I've heard some success with Photoshop in Crossover, but haven't really kept up with it.

So have I. But Crossover Office is far better than WINE is in terms of getting {censored} working. I know, because I've been {censored}ing with it since 2003.

• Members

omg linux is teh fail. Seriously why waste time on an OS that you have to work your ASS off for anything to work?

Except it's not like that anymore. Have you tried any of the Ubuntu distros? I haven't had to do anything really annoying like edit an xorg.conf file in foreeeever.

• Members
Except it's not like that anymore. Have you tried any of the Ubuntu distros? I haven't had to do anything really annoying like edit an xorg.conf file in foreeeever.

Yes I have tried it... just not very long. A friend of mine had to install unbuntu on his laptop for a bet. He had to use it for 31 days and I used it a bit during that time. After it was all done and windows reinstalled he said it was nice to have a working laptop again! :lol:

• Members
Yes I have tried it... just not very long. A friend of mine had to install unbuntu on his laptop for a bet. He had to use it for 31 days and I used it a bit during that time. After it was all done and windows reinstalled he said it was nice to have a working laptop again!
:lol:

That sounds rather unlike any experience I've known people to have in the last couple of years. The last time I did a fresh Linux install (Dec) I didn't have to do a single tricky thing. Installing Office was, in fact, a matter of double clicking, I just didn't realize that Office worked until now.

• Members

That sounds rather unlike any experience I've known people to have in the last couple of years. The last time I did a fresh Linux install (Dec) I didn't have to do a single tricky thing. Installing Office was, in fact, a matter of double clicking, I just didn't realize that Office worked until now.

I have to admit, though, I haven't tried to install on a laptop.

The next release, Intrepid Ibex, is supposed to have its main focus on improving its compatibility on mobile platforms, though the newest 8.04 really helped a lot in that respect (though the new soundsystem, PulseAudio has some pretty glaring bugs right now. I'm sure that'll be fixed in an update very soon. After all, this is their LTS release).

• Members

I have to admit, though, I haven't tried to install on a laptop.

The next release, Intrepid Ibex, is supposed to have its main focus on improving its compatibility on mobile platforms, though the newest 8.04 really helped a lot in that respect (though the new soundsystem, PulseAudio has some pretty glaring bugs right now. I'm sure that'll be fixed in an update very soon. After all, this is their LTS release).

I haven't yet lept to Hardy.

What I can tell you about laptops, and I've used Ubuntu on my laptop since Dapper, is that it's typically only if you use a machine with a rare, cheap wireless card or insist that every "extra" button on front works that there tend to be issues. For all that people bitch about suspend, my laptop has been able to do that since Dapper...

I think the laptop hardware just has more variety and people need to be more conscious of the hardware in them (especially new, or super cheap laptops). As with anything, Windows included, some hardware has better support. But, again, installing on the laptop has become, essentially, equally painless to installing on the desktop, in my experience, the one caveat being that most laptops have ATI cards and therefore I find it easiest to not concern myself with accelerated graphics.

Archived