Trying to harmonize, wut am I doing wrong?

Faust2016

• Members

I'm having an idea for a riff/song and want to harmonize a little part..

goes like this

harmonizeeam3.jpg

I tried harmonizing it by playing it 5 and 7 frets higher.. but it doesn't sound quite right, what am I doing wrong? :poke:

• Members

Try 3 and 6 frets up. That's a third and a flatted fifth up respectively. The flatted fifth could sound way too evil though. :D

In any case, it seems like what you're doing wrong is trying to use numbers to figure out a harmony rather than your ears and intuition...which admittedly have to be taught/refined. Best way to do that is to experiment a lot and always listen carefully to the result, in time it gets easy.

• Members

your best bet is to do it 3-4 frets higher, but keeping in mind that it won't always be the same number of frets higher if you want to keep it sounding in key....although if that's your goal, i can't imagine that it sounds right over that first chord anyway...

• Members
+1. that first chord underlying the progression seems like it would sound like ass! but what ever. its your song not mine.
:thu:

lulz.. I know that the first chord isn't in key.
I don't know the proper word in English.. But the first chord sounds kinda wrong :p I know, but my sisters ginnypig gave birth to three dead babies today, so I'm a little sad.
Anyways, when the second chord kicks in, the feel really changes.. That was what I was aiming at.

Maybe I just can't play a harmony over this, because of the 1st chord

• Members
lulz.. I know that the first chord isn't in key.

I don't know the proper word in English.. But the first chord sounds kinda wrong
:p
I know, but my sisters ginnypig gave birth to three dead babies today, so I'm a little sad.

Anyways, when the second chord kicks in, the feel really changes.. That was what I was aiming at.

Maybe I just can't play a harmony over this, because of the 1st chord

See how my idea sounds...

• Members
The G# and G work just fine, don't change them to something more boring! I stand by my minor 3rd and flatted 5th suggestion. That's:

E

B

G-10-7-9-7-10-7-9-7-9-10-7-7

D

A

E

and

E

B

G-13-10-12-10-13-10-12-10-12-13-10-10

D

A

E

Yes I think you'r right. Thanks :D

• Members

try that with a different chord

simple harmony stuff, even drop the chord if you like.

trythatsucka.jpg

This is correct if your going for a Bm sound. You could also get a cool harmonic minor sound by raising the 9 to a 10 on the harmony.

Archived