amp for under $250?

Bryer M.

• Members

just suggestions for amp heads that have a tolerable reputation- H&k attax ,(tube pre?) peavey triumph(tube)-hi-gain, crate stealth(tube) suppose to be a lee jackson design,also hi gain, and roland cube series excellent!

• Members

The valvetronix has its valve in the power amp
not
the preamp.

# Real tube-power sound from Vox Valve Reactor circuit

# Real 12AX7 triode tube and low-wattage tube power circuit

Ripped right from MF's site. Don't mean to be a dick, but last I checked... I found a 12AX7 for a preamp tube in my Prowler and Valve Jr. So that'd make it a hybrid with a crappy solid state power amp.

• Members

Ripped right from MF's site. Don't mean to be a dick, but last I checked... I found a 12AX7 for a preamp tube in my Prowler and Valve Jr. So that'd make it a hybrid with a crappy solid state power amp.

TheFender is a hybrid too. Notice "tube power circuit". Read what the valve reactor circuit really is before you start making wrong assumptions. A 12ax7 is a preamp tube, if it is used in a preamp. It can be a power tube, if it is used as a power tube, which it is in the Valvetronix.

• Members

Repeating something doesn't make it correct. The 12AX7 is used in most designs as a preamp tube. In the Valve Reactor circuit, each half of the 12AX7 is being used as a power amp tube, either in class A or AB fashion depending on what amp is being modeled. It is then further amplified, but the characteristic sound of an overdriven power tube is there. Hybrid amps with a preamp tube can not get this sound.

This has been posted here, oh, maybe a hundred thousand times over the last year or so. Do a search before posting something you are not sure of.

• Members

Well if that's the case, I'm a dick. I'm just stating what I understood from the beginning with what I was told about the amp. Regardless, it's still not going to sound as good as a tube amp with 6L6s or EL34s.

Says who? It sounds a lot tubier than some hybrids I've owned and played with tube power sections. Those amps had bad transistor preamp distortion.

Archived