Shiva and Carvin Legacy comparison needed

Pete

• Members

Lately I've heard some really nice shiva clips and sounds like both amps have roughly around the same gain. Legacy hits that 80 sound pretty good but not sure with the Shiva (haven't tested one out).

Has anyone tried both? Discuss.

• Members

No comparison, very different amps. Nothing roars like a Shiva.

-W

Would the Shiva have a little more grit/bite than the legacy? Also would you have to boost (separate boost pedal not the built in boost) the shiva to get a good lead tone with sustain?

The legacy has enough gain for my tastes but want a little more edgy of a sound and everyone raves about the shiva's clean....

• Members

The shiva does not have as much gain as the legacy, but the legacy's gain is deceiving as it is very smooth.

The shiva does have more bite. You definitely do not need a boost with the shiva to get a good lead tone, however the amp takes pedals extremely well and if a boost is your thing then you'll be fine.

I recommend one of the newer Shiva's since the boost is better and you don't need a special cable for the FX loop.

-W

• Members

The shiva does not have as much gain as the legacy, but the legacy's gain is deceiving as it is very smooth.

The shiva does have more bite. You definitely do not need a boost with the shiva to get a good lead tone, however the amp takes pedals extremely well and if a boost is your thing then you'll be fine.

I recommend one of the newer Shiva's since the boost is better and you don't need a special cable for the FX loop.

-W

Just trying to get a feel of how much gain a shiva has. Most of the clips around are of it's clean channel and some mid-distorted tones. But one clip I heard just gave me some serious gas cause it sounded like the perfect 80's type of tone....probably had the gain dimed, had alot of bite and high end to it. But seems like everyone likes to boost this amp, does it lack sustain? :confused:

• Members

The Shiva has plenty of sustain. It's a very "fluid" amp, even more so than my Mark IV was.

For what it's worth, I used to use the Shiva occasionally in a Lacuna Coil/Evanescence-type band without a boost pedal with no issues. I preferred it to my Marshall JCM 2000 TSL. The Shiva had a bit less gain, but it had more than enough to get heavy with the gain around 2:30- 3:00 on the lead channel with the built-in boost engaged.

While it's primarily thought of as a clean/mid-gain amp, it does have a fair bit of gain on tap. It's not going to do death metal gain unboosted, but it has plenty for '80s- '90s heavy rock tones. I don't like modern metal tones much, so I had no problems with the Shiva. I dialed it in for an AIC/Tool sort of tone and it worked very well. Jerry Cantrell used a Shiva and an LP with stock pickups almost exclusively on his Degradation Trip album, which is a good example of the sort of tone the Shiva excels at. Not much lead work, unfortunately, but a good demonstration of what it does with heavy rock rhythms. (One notable exception is the track "Spiderbite", which is most obviously not the Shiva, unless it's being hit with an obscene amount of boost or fuzz. If I had to venture a guess, that one's a Dual Rec.)

The Shivas are fantastic amps; they're a thicker "modded JCM 800" type tone, and should be perfect for '80s stuff. They're underrated in the gain department. They have plenty stock.

• Members

Thanks for the info exocaster....sounds like the shiva's got the sound I'm after. Good to hear it can get a heavy tone without a boost cause not very pedal friendly here. Hopefully I can find one around to try out, but that's usually the hard part.

• Members

i've read rumours about the legacy being a poor's man ecstasy, but the circuit schematics are completely different

I'm not a tech head by any means but I did play a Legacy and a Bogner XTC 101B side by side and I must say that the smooth, creamy sustain and organic tone is similar in both amps. The XTC has more of a low-mid growl going on whereas the Legacy places emphasis on the high-mids. Cleans on the Legacy wins hands down though.

• Members

I'm not a tech head by any means but I did play a Legacy and a Bogner XTC 101B side by side and I must say that the smooth, creamy sustain and organic tone is similar in both amps. The XTC has more of a low-mid growl going on whereas the Legacy places emphasis on the high-mids. Cleans on the Legacy wins hands down though.

You have tweak the XTC clean differently....Volume all the way up and use the gain as a volume...it's actually quite Fender-ish this way...

Archived