How do I "boost" an amp for usable tone??

mda96bjh

• Members

He's like the amp forum's Idiot Hydra - browbeat his foolish ass in one thread and he pops up in two more :lol:

Just a brief remark to the more reasonable posters, it isn't quite the same thing to boost mids and level with an EQ and to boost signal with an OD pedal with the gain turned all the way down. OD pedals, even at their lowest available gain levels, are not "clean," exactly - they still generate upper harmonics, and still compress lightly and can even very softly clip the signal. Perhaps some less transparent tube EQs do the same thing, but generally, EQs aren't meant to do that to your signal. The end result is that though they seem to be doing the same thing, they really aren't, hence both are viable alternatives rather than two ways to skin the same cat. :thu:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
He's like the amp forum's Idiot Hydra - browbeat his foolish ass in one thread and he pops up in two more
:lol:

Just a brief remark to the more reasonable posters, it isn't quite the same thing to boost mids and level with an EQ and to boost signal with an OD pedal with the gain turned all the way down. OD pedals, even at their lowest available gain levels, are not "clean," exactly - they still generate upper harmonics, and still compress lightly and can even very softly clip the signal. Perhaps some less transparent tube EQs do the same thing, but generally, EQs aren't meant to do that to your signal. The end result is that though they seem to be doing the same thing, they really aren't, hence both are viable alternatives rather than two ways to skin the same cat.
:thu:

I was gonna say the same thing about the EQ vs Pedal point you have detailed but I was sidetracked by smacking that troll to death

• Members
He's like the amp forum's Idiot Hydra - browbeat his foolish ass in one thread and he pops up in two more
:lol:

Just a brief remark to the more reasonable posters, it isn't quite the same thing to boost mids and level with an EQ and to boost signal with an OD pedal with the gain turned all the way down. OD pedals, even at their lowest available gain levels, are not "clean," exactly - they still generate upper harmonics, and still compress lightly and can even very softly clip the signal. Perhaps some less transparent tube EQs do the same thing, but generally, EQs aren't meant to do that to your signal. The end result is that though they seem to be doing the same thing, they really aren't, hence both are viable alternatives rather than two ways to skin the same cat.
:thu:

Well I mentioned added compression but the end result that people are going for when using each technique is essentially the same. It's true they're doing slightly different things to have a similar effect, however.

• Members

I started this thread 'cos I've watched a few bands look like they were hitting 5150's upfront with pedals.....and getting a far more aggressive tube tone than i've ever managed from mine......

I will continue to experiment so thanks to all the posters with useful comments

• Members

I started this thread 'cos I've watched a few bands look like they were hitting 5150's upfront with pedals.....and getting a far more aggressive tube tone than i've ever managed from mine......

If you wanted to use a 5150 for a metal tone with alot of tight palm mutes a boost is definietly a prerequisite man.. When I want a great metal tone (Which is often lol) I always boost the input. It doesnt make any sense not to IMO because it makes just about every amp sound better

• Members

yAWN. rather than quote every meaningless word u sputter,i selectively take the part im commenting on..

Have a good day ladies,guitargirl will now pass out the tissues and tampons at the back of the room...

You loose.

Back on track

I boost my amp, with 2 different boosts for 2 different sounds.

I play a slightly dirty DSL.

I use a SD-1 to bring me into AC/DC lead territory and a Marshall Guv'ner to bring me into punk rock territory.

I also use a H&K warp for full on Gain when I feel like it.

• Members

Good onya :thu: . I hope you do continue to experiment. I'm glad people have helped you out. It's a shame that a troll battle was unleashed but it was to protect you from getting corrupted as well as maintain the harmony of the forum.

I have two amps that have MOUNTAINS of gain, and you know what? I'm considering on using overdrive pedals and EQ pedals to boost them too! Maybe not for straight out ballsy chunky high gain (as I already achieve that), but for different gainy tones.
So I'm grateful for the advice too, thanks folks :cool:

• Members

Yeah, I think the answer has been mentioned somwhere in this mess. You back the gain down a bit, and boost it back up. It sounds like you are doing too much to get back where you started, but thats not true, as it can slightly change the character of the amp.

If you want tighter, more aggressive sounds, a boost is a good choice...

• Members

Yeah, I think the answer has been mentioned somwhere in this mess. You back the gain down a bit, and boost it back up. It sounds like you are doing too much to get back where you started, but thats not true, as it can slightly change the character of the amp.

If you want tighter, more aggressive sounds, a boost is a good choice...

I wouldn't even say slighty, It basically transforms the sound and feel of a tubeamp..

It's really not that hard to see why it would make a difference considering a boost affects the signal before the Preamp and therefore filters the sound differently as the signal passes through the EQ..

• Members
Have fun with your {censored}ty unboosted Laney you hack LOL!!!!
:wave:

Hack is right. One of the least talented trolls this board has seen in a while. Personally I think ya'll should have dismissed him as the piss poor pathetic wannabe troll he is, but hey if you're having fun playing with him, then by all means continue. I found this one to be particularly boring though. :rolleyes:

Forum cat iz unmpressed.

funny-pictures-unimpressed-cat3.jpg

• Members
Hack is right. One of the least talented trolls this board has seen in a while. Personally I think ya'll should have dismissed him as the piss poor pathetic wannabe troll he is, but hey if you're having fun playing with him, then by all means continue. I found this one to be particularly boring though.
:rolleyes:

Forum cat iz unmpressed.

So, did you post that just so you could add that cat pic??

Archived