Splawn Quickrod vs. Voodoo Amps hex/v-rock

andyhumb

• Members

I have an old voodoo amps hex with effects loop - thinking about getting something different but still after that 80's hot rodded Marshall sound (just less buzzy). One well respected boutique amp store in CA mentioned that I should consider the Splawn Quickrod. Any suggestions here? Maybe totally different company? thanks in advance

• Members

I would think the V-rock with the 'brutal' 4th gain stage mod would have more on tap than the Quikrod at the flick of a switch. I have yet to play either one but I do have a Splawn Nitro with a quikrod midslope and it's a badass mofo.:cool:

The Voodoo sounds pretty killer though. I would check it out before you go for the quikrod if you have a chance.

I wish I could demo the V-rock, Camerons, and Quikrod side by side. Someone needs to do an 80's hot modded Marshall amp shootout. And throw in one of those Cauble modded Marshalls as well.

• Members

I think they are different animals.

Vplex are plexi' types, where QR is the JCM800 stock and up, but without the marshall karrrang thing.

both sound great! if you consider the splawn, go for it. they do sound great.

I have owned the vplex and QR, and cameron all very cool, and do thier thing great. I hav played the vrock. very good superbass type rocker amp.

Enjoy!

• Members

ok technically the QR has more gain stages, this is not conducive to having good low gain tone, but of course it can be done

the voodoo amps has a switchable gain stage

Eh, this is a bad description of the QR. It doesnt have a lot of pre-amp gain, are you sure you arent thinking of another amp?

Dont think that because the gears on the qr bring different gain stages that it isnt a good low gain amp. I think it actually sounds pretty good in gear 1/OD1. I havent ever tried a plexi but that amp gets a good Hendrixy tone. I think that amp sounds better with low gain than high gain. The high gain on that amp isnt very saturated so I hope that people arent confusing high gain w/ saturation on that amp. That amp really needs to be played first before you buy it if at all possible and you need to be able to get into the volume. That amp is capable of crushing amounts of volume. Dont expect a 10 second car to run good in traffic :p

Archived