New to co-writing dilemma

timrocker

• Members

Hi,

I put an ad in Craigslist to find a lead vocalist to co-write with. (May have been my first mistake.) A few weeks ago, got an email from a guy that wants to give it a shot. We started co-writing tunes and putting down sketches on my 8-track portastudio. In my ad I said specifically melodic and hooky upbeat, positive themed rock music. Every lyric sheet he's brought in so far has been a rant or a negative scenario. Have not had one melody yet either. Of course, there's no hook. Just a voice forced over a progression with no real musical relationship.

My dilemma is, do I need to give this thing more time and attention, or do I need to run now and look somewhere more promising for a co-writer?

• Members

Originally posted by tamoore

If it's not what you want, move on.
:thu:

+1. This one doesn't sound like a good fit. Move on.

Maybe in your next ad, you could mention a trial period of two or three songs? That way you can try something out, see if works, and then continue with it or end the relationship.

Also, perhaps you could exchange demos with each other? Or at least play songs for each other before moving into a creative situation?

• Members

I wouldn't get to down on Craiglist, I've met some pretty amazing people off it.

If you think he has promise as a musician, you might just want to talk it out with, revisit your expectations.

I've also found that sometimes it just takes awhile to warm up. Its all about how much work you really want to put in.

Good luck to ya!

• Members

I just tried something dramatical. Heh.

I sent him an email and gently put words to my doubts and objections to the negativity and the absence of hooky melody. Then, I suggested that we learn 8 or so cover songs and use them as intentional influences and as templates to make our songs more commercial and more conventional. Both to have songs ready to perform sooner, and to have these styles rub off on us by intention. If this doesn't work (which it may not) then I'm going to jump off of this project before any more time is lost to it. ;)

• Members

"In my ad I said specifically melodic and hooky upbeat, positive themed rock music."

Perhaps you should have specified some things that you wanted this person to imitate. For example, "Zippity Doo Dah" or maybe the "Up With People" songbook.

While I'm at it, let me ask, what do you consider to be good examples of, "...upbeat, positive themed rock music?" Not that there's anything wrong with upbeat and positive, but maybe this guy is being honest with his lyrics. Is there a big class difference between the two of you?

best,

john

• Members

Originally posted by timrocker

I just tried something dramatical. Heh.

I sent him an email and gently put words to my doubts and objections to the negativity and the absence of hooky melody. Then, I suggested that we learn 8 or so cover songs and use them as intentional influences and as templates to make our songs more commercial and more conventional. Both to have songs ready to perform sooner, and to have these styles rub off on us by intention. If this doesn't work (which it may not) then I'm going to jump off of this project before any more time is lost to it.
;)

8 tunes? That sounds like too many. I'd stick with no more than three.

By the way, it sounded like you didn't have much confidence in this one. Why are you sticking it out? Don't be afraid of being the bad guy! This is your music you're talking about, your vision. Stick to your guns!

• Members

The wrap-up: I got out of it. Just wasn't going to work. Didn't want to spend any more time on it. 3 Sessions is enough. Now I'm even thinking 1 is the bellwether. Influences matter. Doesn't anybody believe in vocal melody anymore? Okay, back on track.

Put Steve Miller, Cheap Trick, and Aerosmith in a blender. Stand back. Pour over cracked ice. Enjoy without moderation. That's all I want for Christmas.

• Members

The wrap-up: I got out of it. Just wasn't going to work. Didn't want to spend any more time on it. 3 Sessions is enough. Now I'm even thinking 1 is the bellwether. Influences matter. Doesn't anybody believe in vocal melody anymore? Okay, back on track.

Put Steve Miller, Cheap Trick, and Aerosmith in a blender. Stand back. Pour over cracked ice. Enjoy without moderation. That's all I want for Christmas.

Cool! If one doesn't feel right--and I mean, you get nothing from it--then you should split. Stick around only if you see & hear something. Something good will come along.

Keep on writing!

• Members

Hi,

I put an ad in Craigslist to find a lead vocalist to co-write with. (May have been my first mistake.) A few weeks ago, got an email from a guy that wants to give it a shot. We started co-writing tunes and putting down sketches on my 8-track portastudio. In my ad I said specifically melodic and hooky upbeat, positive themed rock music. Every lyric sheet he's brought in so far has been a rant or a negative scenario. Have not had one melody yet either. Of course, there's no hook. Just a voice forced over a progression with no real musical relationship.

My dilemma is, do I need to give this thing more time and attention, or do I need to run now and look somewhere more promising for a co-writer?

Sounds to me like this guy is pretty far away from what you want in not just output but approach (since he apparently felt his stuff fit your requirements enough to volunteer... yet it sounds like it's miles away from what you were looking for).

There's no cause for hard feelings or rejections if it's not working out.

Thank him for his time and efforts, assure him you won't be using any of your joint work (if anything even got finished) without some kind of mutual agreement. It would probably be nice to give him some positive but honest parting comments (let's face it... even us tough guys sometimes feel "rejected" over some pretty small stuff) and reassure him that the two of you just wanted different things and you're sure he'll find the right collaborator out there somewhere...

Say... why does so much in being in bands and music collaborations always end up soundling like relationship politics?

:D

PS... OOPS! Shoulda read the whole thread FIRST... ah well, that's the problem with wanting to get your "uncontaminated" thoughts down first...

Archived