attn: those of you with cases from affordable-cases.com...

dustin//

• Members

do you recommend 1/4 or 1/2 inch plywood thinkness?

looking for the best weight to strength ratio. price isn't a factor. 3/8 seems like it'd be ideal, but of course they don't offer that.

this is for amp & rack cases...6-8 spaces.

i suppose this question doesn't appy to only affordable-cases.com customers, but that's where i'm looking to order from.

• Members

I own some of their stuff, a double head case, and a 4x12 cab case.
For heads, I would suggest 1/2, for cabs you can get away with 1/4.
I think the heads need more protection obviously than the 1/4 can give, but the cabs can already take a little beating.
In the three years Ive had two cab cases, one a angstrom, one a affordable, both are 1/4 and they were awesome through all the shows and tours. The lighter weight is nice too with a cab case. THe heads you dont notice the weight as much. But the 1/2 is needed for protection for the amps..

Now,
Wheels.
Just as important as wood width.
Get the 4 inch wheels.
I have one case with 3s and its a pain to roll, the 4s make it nice and easy.

Hope this helps.

• Members
I own some of their stuff, a double head case, and a 4x12 cab case.

For heads, I would suggest 1/2, for cabs you can get away with 1/4.

I think the heads need more protection obviously than the 1/4 can give, but the cabs can already take a little beating.

In the three years Ive had two cab cases, one a angstrom, one a affordable, both are 1/4 and they were awesome through all the shows and tours. The lighter weight is nice too with a cab case. THe heads you dont notice the weight as much. But the 1/2 is needed for protection for the amps..

Now,

Wheels.

Just as important as wood width.

Get the 4 inch wheels.

I have one case with 3s and its a pain to roll, the 4s make it nice and easy.

Hope this helps.

Helped me!
:thu:

• Members

Mine, although I don't know if it's from affordable cases or not, is 1/4" and it's pretty damn solid. If anything, I could put a piece of plywood under the foam to make it thicker, but there's so much foam that it doesn't really matter to me. If cost is an issue, go with 1/4", but if you want something that will last quite a long time, go 1/2".

edit: Apparently I can't spell for {censored}.

• Members

I went with the 1/2" from affordable-cases for my amp and I'd strongly recommend it. It's solid. Real nice construction. One of my friends has a 1/4" thick case for his Dual Rec and it looks like a strong breeze could take that thing out (and he regrets wasting the money on a cheap case he'll have to replace eventually). The case for my Herbert is huge (the Herbert is a little wider than my lopoline 4x12) and they charged me something like $25-30 for shipping to Buffalo. Might be less depending on the size of the case.

Archived