Evolution of the music market?

bigolpimp

• Members

As we all are undoubtedly aware, online downloading has rendered the music industry in a state of uncertainty with regard to how people are going to get paid fairly.

While the whole idea of people willing to pay me money for access to songs that I will copyright in the future just blows my mind (assuming that they will be palatable in such a sense), I am beginning to think that the market has exhibited a paradigm shift toward including original, modern music in multimedia formats: television, movies, video games, etc.

I make this claim in consideration of my impression that the material I have been working on includes 36 minute songs that are more experiential and mood-setting than packaged 3 minute pop songs suitable for radio.

I could chop up everything into segments, but it just would not be consistent with my original vision. Of course, I am no business guru and am merely reflecting upon my impressions as of late....

• Members

I say keep the day job (or stay in school and stay away from drugs in your case :D ) and keep on making the music that makes sense to you...

Yes, it is very difficult to market 36 minute songs (not as bad as it was in the LP era when you'd have to split that song into two pieces just to get it on a record) but I'm assuming you make music because you have music inside you -- not that you want to make money.

I say bring to life the music inside you and figure out how to market it later...

Van Gogh only sold 4 paintings and I think two of them were to his brother Theo.

And... he didn't even have a good day job...

;)

• Members

As we all are undoubtedly aware, online downloading has rendered the music industry in a state of uncertainty with regard to how people are going to get paid fairly.

And that's what we have booking agencies for man!

Yes, our pay from recorded music is going down the drain.

But it's not that easy to steal tickets for a show!

Archived