forumites co-operation

mekke

• Members

A bass duel! Axes at ten paces! To the victor go the spoils!

Heh, you've got much younger fingers than mine, and I was never better than a 2nd rate prog bassist even at my peak.. Just remember that old age and treachery will always overcome youth and inexperience..

To be more serious, what would people think if I uploaded a song snippet that isn't finished? Then you all take a crack at finishing the song? Interested?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been missing in action with illness but I just listened to the Crossroads Song - both the original and dbd's drum and bass enhanced version. Excellent song - I think it's pretty much complete except for drums. Nice work. Would love to hear dbd's snippet also.

• Members

To be more serious, what would people think if I uploaded a song snippet that isn't finished? Then you all take a crack at finishing the song? Interested?

That's actually more of what I had in mind.

I'm not saying what ya'll are doing right now isn't cool because it sounds great, keep it up.

• Members

i'm down for anything like this. if you want some jazz guitar (because i think we're brimming with rockers here, but i can rock too :) ) or some backing vox (or lead vox). just hit me up. i'm down for some fun.

peace,
g

• Members
i'm down for anything like this. if you want some jazz guitar (because i think we're brimming with rockers here, but i can rock too
:)
) or some backing vox (or lead vox). just hit me up. i'm down for some fun.

peace,

g

That would be great man! I am busy having some sort of basic track done by thursday. Really, bckg vocals and some guitar arrangemenrts would be fantastic. I will post here once the first step is accomplished Peace to you mate, M

• Members

Alright, here's a song piece I wrote a long time ago -- so long ago, you can tell by the awful production values. The only thing I've still got from this era is the microphone..

I don't know where this is supposed to fall in the song that might be created around it. It's part of the mystery. It looks like two verses, so possibly this is the beginning, minus the intro. No chorus, no bridge.. there's a lot of room for work.

Of course it may prove impossible to do anything with it, or it may be that the idea is awful, but we'll put it up and see what happens. I'm not proud..

Love Is --

lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5346540&q=lo

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5346540&q=hi

• Members

Alright, here's a song piece I wrote a long time ago -- so long ago, you can tell by the awful production values. The only thing I've still got from this era is the microphone..

I don't know where this is supposed to fall in the song that might be created around it. It's part of the mystery. It looks like two verses, so possibly this is the beginning, minus the intro. No chorus, no bridge.. there's a lot of room for work.

Of course it may prove impossible to do anything with it, or it may be that the idea is awful, but we'll put it up and see what happens. I'm not proud..

Love Is --

lo-fi URL:

hi-fi URL:

I like the stone temple polits vibe...Let me live with it for a bit; maybe i will come with some ideas for a chorus

• Members

I have many more where that came from, as do probably most of the people who post here. If we can just do something with a fraction of them, it'll be something more than it was, that's how I see it anyway. So give it your best shot but no worries if nothing comes of it.

• Members

hmm, I wanted it to sit lower in the mix than yours. Perhaps the reason is my monitors had the bass turned up a little high =/

I should be able to fix that pretty easily I hope, though I think I was accidently an idiot and forgot to save the line seperate...

In any case I think we have two different opinions about how the song should sound. Judging by your more aggressive bassline and drum pattern I think you want the song to move. I was thinking of this song as more atmospheric and not as aggressive. Oh well, lets see what Mekke thinks.

• Members

I just redid the mix I had on my soundclick page and pared back those horrible drums you speak of (which aren't what I would suggest for the song, I think I might have mentioned that before - I don't know what should go there to be honest, which is why I often wind up paying for drums..) I left them in the file so people who come along later wouldn't go "what drums?" I also brought the bass down a little and now you can actually hear mekke singing!

It was a bad mix.. a naughty naughty mix..

I'd like to hear what you did with the bass though so please do nudge the track up a little if you get the time.

• Members

I think you might have mixed that bass a tad too low, because I couldn't hear it. It might be my ears, but I did crank it up looking for it..

Floophead, I can hardly hear the bass. From what I could hear it was very gentle notes which is quite in line with this song, but I cannot not elaborate on this thought as I lost some notes here and there.

• Members

I uploaded a new mp3 on my soundclick as promised; download option is open, and sample rate is in the title.

Dbd1963, on second thought you are right: high notes on chorus are nicer. It brings some difference and it sounds better.

If you wanna give it a go on the new track, do so. I left some drums as a reference, in order to have a click and have some sort of guidance to keep the song gentle

• Members

Love Is --

lo-fi URL:

hi-fi URL:

A musical idea for the chorus...i played one verse before to see how they could sit together. Forgive the voice...I have heard better myself:)

Something to work on? Let me know whatcha think, M

• Members

Ok I have it now -- it won't let me get a download until tomorrow (still clearing you or whatever) but I can hear it.

I think your voice sounds great there, good guitaring too. I do like your chorus idea. I am tempted to stop the falling five notes at three notes, but it would depend on what was said there and also the backing vocals. But I do like it!

Now we'll just be looking for a bridge.. "where is that confounded bridge!"

EDIT: I'm not tempted to stop the notes anymore, after a few more listens I'm hooked! I like it.

• Members

EDIT: I'm not tempted to stop the notes anymore, after a few more listens I'm hooked! I like it.

Glad you like it! I am new to co-writing but I sure had fun thinking it through...I have an idea for the bridge, but I wanna see if someone else dives in...that would be more fun!

• Members

The more the merrier. I have already had some ideas spring up from what you did. I don't know if they are any good yet of course..

Others should feel free to jump in and participate. If these songs don't hit you in the happy spot, there are bound to be more coming along.. In fact I've already found two more ideas I couldn't finish that I thought I'd share but I'll wait and see if anyone else wants to try first before I throw them in.

• Members

Here are a few lyrical ideas I've had for the new parts, tacked on to the original -- possible alternate chorus parts at the end:

NEW EDIT:

Love is

by DB Donlon, eeglug

Love is a need

Love will take you for a ride

Love is a lance

If you wear your hurt inside

Love is familiar

It'll wake you up before the dawn

Love is a stranger

You know it best when love is gone

We confuse ourselves in the throes of love