peavey 5150 and kt 77's?????

wreck1

• Members

would it be possible to convert the power section of a standard peavey 5150 or 5150 II to use KT77 tubes? would it just need to be rebiased??? any help i would greatly appreciate.

also i imagine a 5150 runs 4 pres and 4 power tubes is that correct? thanks for the help!!!

the reason im asking is im thinking of selling my splawn qr whihc has been my jewel for a while and i love the way the 77's crunch, i was thinking of going to the 5150 i play heavier stuff but do use clean channel some. any other amp reccomendations?? in a fairly low price range and ones that could use the 77's?

• Members

I dont know that it would affect the mids in a good way though with that amp. Or maybe it would. With kt77s being the alternate for el34s, I dont think that would work out since I think I have heard of 5150s needing modded for el34s. Its probably just some small mods really, not that I know that much but I do remember it being done by somebody. In fact, I think I read about it on the wolfgang registry. We need to hear some 5150 el34 clips to speculate probably. Isnt there another high gain peavey that runs el34s though? Why not just go with that and drop in the 77s.

• Members

I dont think that would work out since I think I have heard of 5150s needing modded for el34s. Its probably just some small mods really, not that I know that much but I do remember it being done by somebody.

I think it's something like the bias mod and replacing the screen grid resistors if I remember what I heard correctly.

• Members

I was googling around looking but not finding anything. I did find some info about el34s, I guess you do have to bias mod, screen grid resistors and 1 pin from one of the power tubes needs something done. Its getting too late though, I will try it again tomorow.

• Members

dont hook er up for el34 types, the 5150 doesnt like them.

Use kt66's. Theyre the upgrade of 6l6's and are basically (and you'll hear this alot) the love child of el34's and 6l6's. Mondo tonez

dont kt66's use the same grid voltage as an el34 though? I dont think they will work without a bias mod but im not certain.

• Members

all you would need to do is have it biased for kt77's. KT stands for kinkless tetrode, but it's basically just a way of getting around the copying a patented tube (el34). i doubt kt66's would sound much different at all from 6l6s in that amp. kt77's would basically sound like an el34, although having it's own slightly different character.

• Members

all you would need to do is have it biased for kt77's. KT stands for kinkless tetrode, but it's basically just a way of getting around the copying a patented tube (el34). i doubt kt66's would sound much different at all from 6l6s in that amp. kt77's would basically sound like an el34, although having it's own slightly different character.

the "kinkless tetrode" things are basically pentodes, but have 2 parts attached to 1 pin, so the plate can have the same current as one of the grids, thus making them "beam tetrodes" or some{censored} like that. Also, i think kinkless meant that the grids were aligned in a certain way.. but i dont quite remember.

• Members

what normally comes stock with the 5150's? i do not want to run el4's but kt 77's. i was going to switch out power tubes in my old jcm 800 at one point and talked to an amp tech who said you could use just about anything as long as it had the right bias, but thats why im here asking bc i have no idea when it comes to this amp. i guess the bottom line is that even though i know there isnt an amp out there imho that could even touch the splawn qr tone with kt77s in it, im looking for something in the 700-800 dollar range that could get close. so maybe that might be a better question?

• Members

even though i know there isnt an amp out there imho that could even touch the splawn qr tone with kt77s in it, im looking for something in the 700-800 dollar range that could get close. so maybe that might be a better question?

Cant you get a JCM800 for around that much?

• 12 years later...
  • Members

I am thinking my moding my peavey 6505 with KT66  Tubes..The reason is although I adore the flexibility and the power  of this amp...the actual sound is a bit colourless for my taste,I previously owned a Marshall Vintage Modern and I although the gain n power want enough for me...I loved the Tone it was much better,will the break up point will be the same? Any thoughts on how this might sound??? Any oppinions?

I'd love to hear them

Pete the Greek

Archived