When a song has a really great bridge...

u6crash

• Members

as in Stairway to Heaven?

stairway's bridge is the same key.....Aminor. i've not listened to that song in a while, but i think it's the same.

jazz bridges are usually in another key. it's a big part of the jazz language to do a bridge in the subdominant ('rhythm changes') or maybe major off of the minor 6th....that happens alot a-la 'darn that dream' and 'in a sentimental mood.'

as far as rock tunes go with GREAT bridges, a couple of my faves are jeff buckley's 'last goodbye,' and (i can't believe i'm saying this) aerosmith's 'living on the edge.' i don't really like late-period aerosmith very much at all, but that tune's bridge is a great example of what a rock bridge can do.

for effect, i personally try and approach the bridge as a rhythmic 'retreat' from the feel of the rest of the song. almost always, i'll have a real different dynamic happening than in the rest of the song. listen to my tunes, and it'll be pretty obvious. :) i think for me, THAT would fit more into the criteria of a 'good bridge' than a key change, although key changes REALLY do a good job of getting you out of the 'norm' for the tune, too.

cool question; good thread.

peace,

g

Archived