After 8 years my computer speakers...

JBecker

• Members

Are dead/dying. Great set of THX certified Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers that I use for just about everything for the last 8 years.

So, for all my computer speaker needs-- my main source of listening to music, watching movies, etc etc, what's the 2.1 system I need?

• Members

I've heard good things. Sound quality was really great? Even for someone with a somewhat picky ear? That's right around where I was looking to spend, basically 100-150 or so.

I really liked it when I heard it but it's been a while. Going to look for it for you has actually given me a bit of speaker gas... {censored}! I'm gonna bookmark it and make a buy in 2 weeks. I hate to wait. :mad:

You should really check some of the review sites and see what they like in a 2.1.

• Members

The hard part with reviews on most sites is knowing what my friends say about speakers/sound quality, etc, I'm all too aware that I know how to listen and I'm listening for different things than most people.

People who are impressed with a system that can shake a wall but can't put out clear, even sound aren't the ones I want making the call.

I want people who actually listen to music :D.

• Members

The hard part with reviews on most sites is knowing what my friends say about speakers/sound quality, etc, I'm all too aware that I know how to listen and I'm listening for different things than most people.

People who are impressed with a system that can shake a wall but can't put out clear, even sound aren't the ones I want making the call.

I want people who actually listen to music
:D

You're really gonna have to check some of these sites out.

www.tomshardware.com

www.anandtech.com

www.hardocp.com

Oh and you might want to steer clear of the speakers I indicated earlier - apparently there's a lot of really good stuff out there now.

Good hunting.

• Members

Ive got a set of Altec Lansing 2.1's that are coming up on around 8 years. Still pumping out the Radiohead and Oasis with righteous conviction.

We probably have the same one. Just this week the speakers suddenly lose sound and I have to smack the sub to get any sound back.

• Members

I have a set of these..

didnt take but a few minutes from when I got them that I pissed the wife off..

now I have to use my headphones :cry::cry:

Cyber Acoustics A-3780

C375-3780-main1.jpg

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=588550&Sku=C375-3780&SRCCODE=CNETFEED&CMP=OTC-CNETFEED

Specifications

* Design: Pro Series Industrial Design

* Speakers: 2-Way Satellite Speakers

* Remote: Illuminated wired remote

- On/Off control

- Master volume control

- Bass volume control

- Headphone output jack

* Subwoofer: Wood enclosed

- 8" Pro Series Driver

- Tuned port

* Satellites: 2 way satellites with 3" dynamic mid-range drivers and 1" mylar tweeters

* Power output: 180 watts

- System (subwoofer - 100 watts; satellites - 40 watts x 2)

* Frequency Response: 22-20KHz

• Members

We probably have the same one. Just this week the speakers suddenly lose sound and I have to smack the sub to get any sound back.

I have that problem with my Creative i-trigue speakers its so annoying. Every once in a while they'll just lose all the bass and volume. I like creative speakers but I'm not too picky when it comes to them, so long as its fairly clear and not tinny sounding its fine :thu:

• Members

Yeah make sure you buy a system that has real mid woofers, not fancy design crap with 300 tweeters and a sub. I've heard what was supposed to be a great version of the mini satelite thingies and they still sucked ass. Boomy bass and lacking midrange FTL.

The klipsch system looks decent, but don't expect comparatively really great sound, it is a compact system after all. PS the treble can be a bit overbearing on Klipsch speakers, i see these are also horn loaded, you'll really have to try it for yourself. If it doesn't work out there's always EQ.

• Members

My current satellites are 2x2.5" speakers. The sub is probably 8" looking at the enclosure. Maybe 6". Keeping in mind I realize that size can equal better and I'm fine with big stuff, what would you recommend?

Archived