H&K Triamp, VHT UL, VHT Deliverance, Diezel Einstein/VH4

Mr Lucky Pants

• Members

I'm trying to decide between these amps. Unfortunately, the only ones I'll have a chance to audition are the Ultralead and the Einstein (maybe). I'm looking for a killer, punchy hard rock tone (not a scooped metal sound). I'm really intrigued by the Triamp MkII, but I also own a number of hot-rodded Marshall-type amps already, so it might be overkill...the versatility seems great, but I wonder if it is comprimised as a result. I'm not sure about the Diezel's - might be a little too hi-fi?...but, I do really like Tool's sound. VHT's I've dug basically since I've heard Helmet play them, but might be a little too dry for my tastes...

• Members

punchy? hard rock?

UL is a god send!

Man, that UL clip in your sig is killer. More saturated than I'm used to hearing from VHT which is a big plus to know it can do that. Does it need a pedal to get that saturation going? I've tried out a Bogner Uberschall before, thinking that would be the answer, since I own an XTC already. I wasn't blown away...not tight enough...maybe a boost would've helped a lot. I'll definately check the VHT if I get a chance. How does it handle rock tunes?

• Members

The Einstein isn't hi-fi, it might be perfect for what you're looking for. I'm not a fan of scooped tones either btw.

Hopefully you'll get to try it out.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Einstein. Even people that aren't really digging the Diezel line seem to have some love for that amp. It seems like the most organic of their amps. I really want to like the VH4, but it sounds too dry for me.

• Members

How does it compare to the UL?

I can't speak for the UL

The Deliverance is slightly less dry. It's just as tight, dynamic and responsive, but less stiff. It's extremely simple in it's design, and with it's two gain knobs and switchable gain stage you can hit almost any tonal territory; fat to thin; raunchy to subdued; throaty dry, dynamic VHT gain to clean.

It takes pedals better than any other newer type high gainer amp I've tried.

• Members
I've heard a lot of good things about the Einstein. Even people that aren't really digging the Diezel line seem to have some love for that amp. It seems like the most organic of their amps. I really want to like the VH4, but it sounds too dry for me.

Yeah I get what you're saying about the VH4, I haven't played one but almost all the clips I've heard of it don't sound my kind of tone. The Einstein is a keeper :thu: .

• Members
Yeah I get what you're saying about the VH4, I haven't played one but almost all the clips I've heard of it don't sound my kind of tone. The Einstein is a keeper
:thu:

Cool. I was at a music store last summer that carried a lot of boutique amps and the guy there said the Einstein was his favorite (which really stuck with me because of the huge array of amps they carried). How would you describe the tone of the Einstein? Is it a versatile amp within those 2 channels?

• Members
Cool. I was at a music store last summer that carried a lot of boutique amps and the guy there said the Einstein was his favorite (which really stuck with me because of the huge array of amps they carried). How would you describe the tone of the Einstein? Is it a versatile amp within those 2 channels?

It's a really versatile amp;
CH1 mode 1 is squeaky clean and has never had any break-up for me (though honestly the loudest I've had the amp is about 1 o'clock on both channel and master volumes, which is more than loud enough when jamming with a drummer friend)
CH1 mode 2 is sweet, at lower gain I get nicer (imo) cleans with just a bit of break-up with a humbucker and perfect with single coils. At higher gain and volume settings you can get anything from a blues rock-ish type sound to slightly hotter vintage crunch (some people like to allude to AC/DC but it seems sharper/more defined to me).
CH1 mode 3 is awesome, as much gain as you want, with a sweet mid range bite and excellent note definition; you can hear notes in a chord very well (not talking power chords here). Probably what you're after.

CH2 is somewhat similar to CH1 mode 3 but with more compression. Perfect lead tones here imo. It doesn't really sound like anything else but you could get convincing Vai (somewhat atleast- think Fire Garden) or Gilmour (Delicate Sound of Thunder) lead tones. Thick, sweet lead awesomeness :love: . I personally don't have the gain past 1-2 o'clock ever, lots and lots of gain.

• Members
It's a really versatile amp;

CH1 mode 1 is squeaky clean and has never had any break-up for me (though honestly the loudest I've had the amp is about 1 o'clock on both channel and master volumes, which is more than loud enough when jamming with a drummer friend)

CH1 mode 2 is sweet, at lower gain I get nicer (imo) cleans with just a bit of break-up with a humbucker and perfect with single coils. At higher gain and volume settings you can get anything from a blues rock-ish type sound to slightly hotter vintage crunch (some people like to allude to AC/DC but it seems sharper/more defined to me).

CH1 mode 3 is awesome, as much gain as you want, with a sweet mid range bite and excellent note definition; you can hear notes in a chord very well (not talking power chords here). Probably what you're after.

CH2 is somewhat similar to CH1 mode 3 but with more compression. Perfect lead tones here imo. It doesn't really sound like anything else but you could get convincing Vai (somewhat atleast- think Fire Garden) or Gilmour (Delicate Sound of Thunder) lead tones. Thick, sweet lead awesomeness
:love:
. I personally don't have the gain past 1-2 o'clock ever, lots and lots of gain.

couldn't have said it better myself! :thu:

• Members

Man, that UL clip in your sig is killer. More saturated than I'm used to hearing from VHT which is a big plus to know it can do that. Does it need a pedal to get that saturation going? I've tried out a Bogner Uberschall before, thinking that would be the answer, since I own an XTC already. I wasn't blown away...not tight enough...maybe a boost would've helped a lot. I'll definately check the VHT if I get a chance. How does it handle rock tunes?

Yeah that was with an OD9 boost

try these ones though. it has more flavours than people give it credit for

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/45-deftones_summer_test.mp3

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/93-MIC_TEST2_MIX1-01.mp3

• Members

What kind of hard rock? For 80's style Marshally tones, Splawns are hard to beat, and the Nitro is a pretty bichin amp. I love the UL, but for hard rock check out the SIG X. Not as aggressive, not as dry, a bit more musical and sweet. One of the most beautiful lead tones I've ever heard.

The Einstein is a great amp, but for my taste it runs more towards more vintage sounding stuff. I don't know that it has a tight and aggressive enough character for say, Alice in Chains or Motley Cue tones. But I love it for darker, more liquid tones, say blues, fusion, or even early Sabbath style stuff.

I'd steer you towards a SIG X.

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=25801

• Members

What kind of hard rock? For 80's style Marshally tones, Splawns are hard to beat, and the Nitro is a pretty bichin amp. I love the UL, but for hard rock check out the SIG X. Not as aggressive, not as dry, a bit more musical and sweet. One of the most beautiful lead tones I've ever heard.

The Einstein is a great amp, but for my taste it runs more towards more vintage sounding stuff. I don't know that it has a tight and aggressive enough character for say, Alice in Chains or Motley Cue tones. But I love it for darker, more liquid tones, say blues, fusion, or even early Sabbath style stuff.

I'd steer you towards a SIG X.

Hmm...I wouldn't say 80's tones. More like early to mid 90's. Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Helmet, etc. Thanks, I'll check out the link. Btw, I already own a Bogner XTC and Soldano SLO, so have those tones covered.

• Members
Hmm...I wouldn't say 80's tones. More like early to mid 90's. Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Helmet, etc. Thanks, I'll check out the link. Btw, I already own a Bogner XTC and Soldano SLO, so have those tones covered.

Then I'd definitely check out a SIG X. From the Diezel camp, I'd look for a Herbert or a VH4 for a bit more versatility, although the Schmidt sounds interesting too, although we have no idea what it's going to sound like :D

• Members

How would you describe the tone on the Triamp?

He can get great cleans, nice crunch on channel 2 and he can get pretty br00tal on channel 3. For his band my mate tends to use channel 2 90% of the time and channel 3 for leads.

He boosts with a maxon od808

• Members

He can get great cleans, nice crunch on channel 2 and he can get pretty br00tal on channel 3. For his band my mate tends to use channel 2 90% of the time and channel 3 for leads.

He boosts with a maxon od808

I've heard that the Triamp is even more versatile than the Bogner XTC that I own. I've been really impressed with the clips of this amp that I've heard. Breaking Benjmain uses them and a couple members on the board have been raving about them/posting clips. Anyone else have love for the Triamp?

Archived