Pairing a high gain rig with new pickups.....

Davetopay

• Members

I am looking at upgrading pickups in some of my guitars and have some questions. With a high gain amp would I be able to get more complexity and harmonic richness with a lower output pickup than a really hot one?

I have had EMG 81s, Super Distortions, and Tone Zone humbuckers...but none of them really made me say "that's the one"

This is a recording done with an ESP Viper with EMGs and a 1986 NJ Warlock with Super Distortions. Amps used were Peavey Ultra 60, 5150, and an Ultra plus.

This would be in a neck thru guitar with a stop tailpiece, mahogany body and neck with maple cap.

Current rigs:

Digitech2101-->Peavey 60/60-->Peavey Butcher Cab

Ultra60-->Peavey Butcher Cab

Thoughts?

• Members

I have been using medium output pickups lately and I like them much better. I have an Airzone on my neck-thru, mahogany bodied Ibanez and it sound awesome. It's supposed to be a more vintage version of the tone zone. Also, my Gibson with the stock Burstbuckers has been sounding really awesome. I'm glad I have stopped using EMGs.

• Members

Lower ohm pickups tend to give more definition and dynamics to the notes. If you go for high gain everything you tend to completely eat up any tonal headroom you have and completely zero out your dynamics.
Basically you sound monotone in comparison to someone who has dynamics, and has learned how to work with dynamics to generate emotional responces.
I like high gain on some of my guitars but they arent the first ones I pick up or set down at a show. Its always the one I can get to sound super clean if I want or crank up with good tone and playability.
To me high gain without real tone is so boaring it makes my eyes bleed.
Unless you have the ability to work up from the clean/punchy/warm/sharp sounds gradually up into the heavy gains your playing you basically give peoply the yawn (Thats why I use multiple gain devices to ramp up or down my sound as well)

• Members

How much are you looking to spend?

not a TON, but I know you get what you pay for.

Using the Dimarzio pickup selector I come up with the D activator in the bridge position and the Humbucker From Hell in the neck. Was also thinking about the Duncan SH4 JB for the bridge.

Gonna do shopping around yet....

• Members

Well I have a Duncan '59 B (bridge) I'm trying to unload as well as a Rio Grande BBQ and possibly a JB I'm looking to unload if any of those interest you let me know.

If you're looking to drop serious coin I can't recommend Bareknuckle pick ups enough, though they are $$$

• Members

well then sir.. get it with no regrets! i heard from someone that it as the best pickup he ever played.. and it will for sure be the next pickup i get.

i head jon's description of it in his interview. sounds like it'll kick ass

Archived