The Dream is Over...new mix

Open

• Members

After digesting everyone's comments on the original (The dream is over (Supper's Ready),

I decided to do a whole new remix and did some additional tracking. To differentiate it,

I've entitled it "The Dream is Over..." I've taken out the "Supper's Ready" as many people have suggested (to not be confused with the Genesis song). I've left the original version (vinyl intro) in case you want to compare with the new. Let me know what you think. I greatly appreciate everyone lending me their ears on the original.

http://soundclick.com/open

The Dream is Over...

• Members

not sure if I like the "scratched old record" opening. I think it has been overdone by so many artists. That fact aside I like the tune. Kind of a hypnotic melody. Harmonies are also good. Reminds me of Tonic in a way.

I took your advice (as well as from others) and redid the intro making it

more consistant with the theme and outro.

• Members

I heard Lounge Lizard first some time ago, and this ones great, too. When I saw the list of influences on LL's page, and saw K.Crimson and Tool, I thought, "coool." That stuff's my bread and butter, and it comes through nicely in your music. I like the C.S. Lewis quote, too.

You obviously know your toys. And the attention to detail, and the production values. Damn! I'm just a fan. I got very musically inspired when I heard LL, and this does the same. Like, hungry for it, and energized.

I look forward to what's next.

• Members

I have now had time to listen to your first mix (with vinyl intro).

Now, I know vinyl intro's have been done before, but hey, so has Dminor and G/C/D right?

I think the vinyl intro fits much better into the song. So why not keep it there?

Now that I hear the new one again, I think the intro is a little awkward, which I didn't think when I first heard it. The new intro is a halfway run. It has the feeling of the vinyl, just without the vinyl and it is apparently there for no particualar reason other than replacing the vinyl. Has the new edition of the intro it's own purpose?

If you introduced the vinyl intro because you thought it was both cool AND totallly new and not done before :), then you should probably go for someting else.

But if you chose the vinyl cause you think it sounds cool, then keep it. To me, it sounds a lot better than the new intro. It gets me more into the mood of the song and to me it really plays well with the guitarintro coming right after. I mean REALLY gets you into the song.

I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but it's how I believe it should be done. It's all up to you off course. Good luck!

• Members

I heard Lounge Lizard first some time ago, and this ones
great
, too. When I saw the list of influences on LL's page, and saw K.Crimson and Tool, I thought, "coool." That stuff's my bread and butter, and it comes through nicely in your music. I like the C.S. Lewis quote, too.

You obviously know your toys. And the attention to detail, and the production values. Damn! I'm just a fan. I got very musically inspired when I heard LL, and this does the same. Like, hungry for it, and energized.

I look forward to what's next.

Thanks Craigly. I appreciate the comments on the LL since it's my most

recent song.

• Members

I have now had time to listen to your first mix (with vinyl intro).

Now, I know vinyl intro's have been done before, but hey, so has Dminor and G/C/D right?

I think the vinyl intro fits much better into the song. So why not keep it there?

Now that I hear the new one again, I think the intro is a little awkward, which I didn't think when I first heard it. The new intro is a halfway run. It has the feeling of the vinyl, just without the vinyl and it is apparently there for no particualar reason other than replacing the vinyl. Has the new edition of the intro it's own purpose?

If you introduced the vinyl intro because you thought it was both cool AND totallly new and not done before
:)
, then you should probably go for someting else.

But if you chose the vinyl cause you think it sounds cool, then keep it. To me, it sounds a lot better than the new intro. It gets me more into the mood of the song and to me it really plays well with the guitarintro coming right after. I mean REALLY gets you into the song.

I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but it's how I believe it should be done. It's all up to you off course. Good luck!

Now you've made it real difficult for me :). I changed the intro because I constantly get from many different forums the complaint about the vinyl. One guy even told me he never made it past the intro because of that. I thought to myself, even though I love the vinyl intro and feel it's the best, I just don't want people to be turned off and miss the rest of the song. Maybe I have to sacrifcie. Now with your input, it confirms to me what i felt from the beginning. What a quandery...Thanks I appreciate your honesty.

Anyone else out there would like to comment further on the vinyl issue?

• Members

Now you've made it real difficult for me
:)
. I changed the intro because I constantly get from many different forums the complaint about the vinyl. One guy even told me he never made it past the intro because of that. I thought to myself, even though I love the vinyl intro and feel it's the best, I just don't want people to be turned off and miss the rest of the song. Maybe I have to sacrifcie. Now with your input, it confirms to me what i felt from the beginning. What a quandery...Thanks I appreciate your honesty.

Anyone else out there would like to comment further on the vinyl issue?

Oh yeah, but why do they comlain about it? What are the complaints? That they heard it before many times? That's silly! It's like saying, that you shouldn't paint with blue color because many artists have done that before.

If you are in it to create new ideas, sounds, new ways to apply effects that noone has done before, then the complaints are justified.

But if the vinyl serves an artistic purpose, then it is only your own judgement that counts.

Of course, if you plan on using it as a demo to kick in doors at a label, you might want to listen to what people have to say in order to "mainstream" the song into the commerciel world. But then you're not prioritizing the artistic feel of the song.

So figure out what purpose the song has, and act accordingly :thu:

• Members

Oh yeah, but why do they comlain about it? What are the complaints? That they heard it before many times? That's silly! It's like saying, that you shouldn't paint with blue color because many artists have done that before.

If you are in it to create new ideas, sounds, new ways to apply effects that noone has done before, then the complaints are justified.

But if the vinyl serves an artistic purpose, then it is only your own judgement that counts.

Of course, if you plan on using it as a demo to kick in doors at a label, you might want to listen to what people have to say in order to "mainstream" the song into the commerciel world. But then you're not prioritizing the artistic feel of the song.

So figure out what purpose the song has, and act accordingly
:thu:

Thanks, that's some really sound advice. I might make 2 versions because I do want to have a version to use commercially.

• Members

Hi.

I have to say that I love this song (I guess I have mentioned it to you before) and I still play it from time to time at work. Now, although this new version seems even crisper and more detailed than before, something seems missing.

For example: On the old one, right at the intro when you finish saying:

"The invitation is out the door"

the music sounds aggressive.

On this version at that same moment, it seems it will turn aggressive but there's something missing! Did you take out a guitar, or lowered the bass, or drums or something? I still like, but it doesn't sound as aggressive as before (at least for me.)

Thanks.

• Members

Hi.

I have to say that I love this song (I guess I have mentioned it to you before) and I still play it from time to time at work. Now, although this new version seems even crisper and more detailed than before, something seems missing.

For example: On the old one, right at the intro when you finish saying:

"The invitation is out the door"

the music sounds aggressive.

On this version at that same moment, it seems it will turn aggressive but there's something missing! Did you take out a guitar, or lowered the bass, or drums or something? I still like, but it doesn't sound as aggressive as before (at least for me.)

Thanks.

You are very perceptive. I changed the bass sound which was giving it's dark growly sound and gave it more of a natural bass sound with distortion. Although I liked the agressiveness that you speak of, it prevented me from getting the clean and crisp mix I desired. It was a trade-off. Sorry. But you still have free access to the original version.

• Members

Ok.

Yep, I have both mp3s!

It's a trade-off like you said and this new version sounds extremely pretty

even with the "loss aggressiveness" !
;)

Still, awesome job!

I forgot to mention that another reason it sounds different (and less aggressive) is the drums. I took the filter off the drums I had before.

Again, it was a trade-off to make it more listenable. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Steve

I must admit though not a fan of this particular type of music....it held my attention....and most importantly it intrigued me....

If you can get people to LISTEN to your music when they don't care for the genre you really GOT IT GOING ON......

As well you do

Steve Altonian

Hey Steve, I just put up a new mix. Let me know what you think.

• Members

OK, first of all I want you to know that I think its fabulous...Its a very original sound (ANALOGIES for conversations sake) Its like Radiohead, ELO, Apoptygma Berzerk,XTC, The Killers, ColdPlay, and Pink Floyd all rolled into one..... Its very emotional, It has a nice flavor, it sounds mirky yet sincere, and I really like the overall production. It would be something I would buy............

I have only one criticism, actually a suggestion, and take it for what its worth......Lock up the drums and bass more: The rest of your music and production is way too precise to have bass playing one thing and drums playing something else.........Accurate music like yours, Bass is something that ties the music to the percussion, it adds note values to the rhythmic pulse, and thats usually its function in most popular music...Your bassline(s) sound like they are following the music/guitars only - any seasoned bass player worth a {censored} will tell you that the drums are the most important thing to lock with - In precise music like yours, we only go to guitars/music AFTER we have locked up together as a cohesive unit.. I dont hear this in your music : the drums have that arbitrary "Im playing whatever the hell I want to play" groove and the fills sound like a drummer playing random fills wherever the hell he wants with disregard to the bass player, or the actual note values of the music/arrangements itself. The bass player sounds like hes approaching the bass as a guitarist would and is opting to plod along where the music/guitar/progressions are going instead of trying to lock up with the drums and create the pulse. To me, this gives the rest of your prestine music a sloppy underlay...A really good rhythm section, in a polished situation like yours, plays TOGETHER: Drum fills arent just done arbitrarily without regard to bass or the dynamics of the musical arrangements --Instances where they are random is in looser, jammy type bands, such as Jimi Hendrix Experience or The Who, and they have a sloppier feel and that works for that type of situation---Take a band like Rush, Disturbed, Tears For Fears, or just about anybody, really, whose music is precise: the bass and drums can play a lot BUT they compliment each other, usually every kick and stab has a complimentary bass note - they just dont play fills arbitrarily unless its written as a solo section for a particular song ( the end of Rush's Which Hunt for example) The production of your music is too smooth and polished to have a looser rhythm section.....Lock up the kick drum with the bassline or vice-versa, and write drum fills with bass compliment ..The precision of the rest of your music requires that kind of delivery from a rhythm section where the bass notes and kick pattern should be identical as well as having complimentary fills instead of Johnny Overplay on drums doing random "I'll- play-whatever-the-hell-Johnny-Overplay-feels-like-playing" type of fills everywhere....

Other than that, you get 10 of these guys------> :thu:

• Members

The loud part (starting at :40) is WAAAAY TOO LOUD (especially on the embedded player in your homepage, which does not have a readily available volume control). Seriously, I have the pop-up player volume on 5 (out of 100!!!). Conversely, with the volume at 5 the piano based parts (:00 and 2:00) are barely audible. The first responsibility of a good mix is to make sure that every part of the song is at a relatively correct volume - I don't care how many other things the mix fixes, if it fails at this task it is a terrible mix.

The song itself, as I posted before, is really good (especially the falsetto on "No time to cheat"). I cannot comment on the new bass/drums because my ears are still bleeding.

• Members

After digesting everyone's comments on the original (The dream is over (Supper's Ready),

I decided to do a whole new remix and did some additional tracking. To differentiate it,

I've entitled it "The Dream is Over..." I've taken out the "Supper's Ready" as many people have suggested (to not be confused with the Genesis song). I've left the original version (vinyl intro) in case you want to compare with the new. Let me know what you think. I greatly appreciate everyone lending me their ears on the original.

The Dream is Over...

I think it deserves a well intentioned *bump again*..

I liked it man.. the production was good.. the voice fit the song.. it got a bit loud and obnoxious at times (not throwing stones... I do that all the time)..

I guess my overall thoughts is production values are a tiny bit better than the song.. then again, I might just be jealous that I have no 'production value' sense in me..

Anyways, well deserved bump, I liked the gist of the tune.

Archived