Using the MarkIV in stereo

petejt

• Members

My turn for a n:o:ob question....

My MarkIV has one effect loop send, and two effect loop returns, a Left and a Right.

I assume that if just one speaker cabinet is hooked up the the MarkIV, it will blend both of those channels, to mono?

Now, if I hook up two speaker cabinets to the MarkIV amp head, it will actually separate that stereo signal into Left and Right sides?

Please don't palm your faces :facepalm: , I just need this clarified please.

Surely it seems less mind-numbing than whether teh {censored} gets wiped from the balls at the front to back up teh crack, or vice versa? :o

• Members

I think that one of them doesn't go to the power amp, but instead goes to the "satellite send" - so you'd need a satellite power amp (or another amp) to use this with. Basically it allows you to split the preamp signal in two, but it still only has one channel, so if you want stereo, you need a second power amp.

At least that's my understanding. It's explained in the manual, but the explanation has always kinda left me scratching my head.

• Members

Wow! this is prolly my first real post...it won't be stereo with just another speaker cab...you have to have a satellite sixty or simul-satellite (i assume any power amp/cab combo could be used in the satellites' stead, but i'm not positive)in order to utilize the stereo effects with the mark iv's effects loop
Dang!! you're quick! i think his explanation is a bit more detailed...hopefully it helps out...otherwise, the guys at mesa boogie would prolly be more than happy to explain it to you further

• Members

I think that one of them doesn't go to the power amp, but instead goes to the "satellite send" - so you'd need a satellite power amp (or another amp) to use this with. Basically it allows you to split the preamp signal in two, but it still only has one channel, so if you want stereo, you need a second power amp.

At least that's my understanding. It's explained in the manual, but the explanation has always kinda left me scratching my head.

This is how I understand it too.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

Why do you want to run "stereo"?

Bigger wall of sound for stereo effects.

I've gone back to this idea. I'm going to put a stereo FX rack in the effects loop, and take the Satellite Send to a separate poweramp, that runs its own cab.

Archived