My amp blew up :mad: :cry: :facepalm:

petejt

• Members

It's been like that since, Friday. :cry::facepalm:

I recently got a US power board so I can plug the rest of my pedals in (since they're American too), which go into my step-down transformer.

I was just playing along, with both my MarkIV & Fireball roaring away, and had my PA speakers & mixer as well playing back a CD.

Then suddenly- POP! :eek: All the lights on the MarkIV's footpedal blinked and every light on the amp went out. I could smell a "party popper" smell, ozone I think. I tried switching it back onto standby, nothing. Left it sit for a bit, then switched it back on, nothing, just more ozone. :mad:

The Fireball kept roaring away happily.

When it cooled down, I checked the poweramp valves. They are due for a change, but still looked like they were in good nick. I checked the fuse and it had surely blown.

I replaced the fuse, as well as two of the poweramp valves. I turned it onto standby again- no worries.

I flicked it on again, and -> :facepalm:

I checked the fuse, it still looked like it was okay. I checked the fuse of the step-down transformer, and it doesn't look blown (?).

Am I missing something here? Did I overlook something? Is something else causing my MarkIV to not work?

I hope to God that it ain't broken! :mad::cry::(

• Members

You need to replace all of valves one by one, not two power amp valves. Let us know after that.

Perth ran out of ElectroHarmonix 6L6 valves (all they had were Sovteks & Groove Tubes/KT88s), so I couldn't get any unfortunately.

I prefer EH poweramp valves (fussy I know), as I strictly don't like using Mesa/Boogie-branded poweramp valves (plus the EH sound better), so I guess I'll have to wait until the next time I'm on break. That'll be another two and a half weeks away :( .

I'll update this thread then. This sucks big time because I'm taking my amp to the local Boogie ampfest (I'll post a separate thread for that) and, it's just gonna SIT there, can't be played!

• Members

Sounds like it needs a amp tech.

Damn.

I really hope it doesn't.

I think I'll just leave it rest until I can get some new valves, and then if it still plays up, I'll definitely get it checked out.

Thanks for your advice.

Archived