? relating to blown speakers in a quad.

Sir Don

• Members

I've just realized that the two bottom speakers in my quad are not putting out any sound. The quad is a Marshall wired in series/parallel. My question is if one of the bottom speakers is blown will the other bottom one fail to work as well with this wiring set up? I haven't had time to mess around with it yet, I've only had time to take the back cover off, everything looks ok from that perspective. I guess I'm just hoping that it will be one speaker instead of two, it is loaded with greenbacks. Any ideas? Cheers.

• Members

hard to say-- in series, i'd think the speakers first in line would get creamed first, as current goes in, then out to the next in line. but it sounds like you have something else BESIDES greenbacks that was a little more resilient?

if it's series parallel-- it's probably two victims-- as you've got two speaks in series on what appears to be top/bottom...

• Members
it could be worse-- it could be 4!
;)

careful with the wattage though-- sounds like you're driving a 412 with greenies REALLY hard if you're blowin' em! or did y' get a used cab with 'pre blown' speaks?

rrr.. sorry bout that, man!

Nah, I've had this cab since brand new about 10 years ago, I have been playing my SLX-900 through it lately though. Oh well, as you said, it could be worse!! Cheers.

• Members

Any more opinions before I take the plunge?

What do you mean take the plunge? Don't buy anything till you've sussed the problem. If it's not the wiring then it's most likely that just one of the speakers has gone. Also, the ohmage of the cab has probably doubled now.

Archived